Fall, Field Hockey

Previewing 2018 Field Hockey: Northeastern

After a heartbreaking loss to No. 8 Louisville, No. 9 Boston College field hockey (3-3, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) returns to Massachusetts to face Northeastern (2-4) in the final match of its two-game road trip. With their two-game winning streak snapped, the Eagles will look to get back on track in a non-conference matchup against the Huskies. Following the crosstown matchup, BC will face Virginia in an ACC tilt and New Hampshire in a non-conference game on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

Who is BC playing?

Northeastern

When is BC playing?

Tuesday, Sept. 18, 6 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Dedham Field, Dedham, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game will be livestreamed online on Btn2go.com.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Last week’s one-goal loss continued a theme for the Eagles this season. Besides a 7-0 victory over Quinnipiac in the opening game, every other game BC has played this season has been decided by one goal.

2) BC is averaging 2.67 goals per game, good for third in the ACC. But in the past two games, the Eagles have only found the back of the cage once.

3) Head coach Kelly Doton’s team may have to clean up its play on the field. Over the first six games of the season, BC has accumulated 38 fouls. The Eagles’ opponents, on the other hand, have collectively tallied only 17 fouls.

Northeastern:

1) The Huskies have been outshot and outscored by their opponents on average this season. Northeastern has averaged 1.67 goals per game while opponents have scored 2.50 times per contest. And the Huskies have been outshot by opponents, 16.7 to 14.3.

2) Chemistry has not come easy to Northeastern in the early going. Through six games, the Huskies have only managed six assists. This pales in comparison to their opponents’ 15.

3) June Curry-Lindahl leads the team in points with 11, as she has recorded five goals and one assist so far this season.

Last Meeting:

During Senior Day last year, BC played against Northeastern and pulled out a 2-1 victory.

Outlook:

This is a big matchup for both teams. BC wants to right the ship before resuming conference play, and Northeastern doesn’t want to slide three games under .500. The key to an Eagles victory will be containing Curry-Lindahl, the main offensive threat for the Huskies. BC has presented a steadfast defense, led by junior goalie Sarah Dwyer. If the defense holds, and the offense comes back to life, the Eagles could very well reenter the win column.

Featured Image by Maggie DiPatri / Heights Editor