Women's Hockey

Previewing 2018-19 Women’s Hockey: Vermont

No. 6 Boston College women’s hockey (4-2, 1-0 Hockey East) enters Saturday afternoon’s game against Vermont (1-1-2, 1-1) riding a four-game win streak. Not only that, but the Eagles’ offense is really starting to gel. After failing to record a first-period goal last weekend, Lindsay Agnew the found the back of the net during the waning seconds of Friday night’s opening frame. Three different Eagles etched their name in the scorecard, and BC rolled to a 3-1 victory. That’s been the theme of the 2018-19 season thus far: selfless offense.

Nine different Eagles have lit the lamp this fall and four—Agnew, Grace Bizal, Cayla Barnes, and Makenna Newkirk—are currently on four-game point streaks. Considering that BC averaged 3.6 goals in its five meetings with the Catamounts last season, the scoring uptake should only continue on Saturday afternoon.

Who is BC playing?

Vermont

When is BC playing?

Saturday, Oct. 20, 3 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Kelley Rink, Chestnut Hill, Mass.

How to Watch:

The game will be broadcasted on ESPN3 and livestreamed via WatchESPN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Minnesota transfer Lindsay Agnew has logged three goals in the past four games and, at the moment, is tied with Newkirk for the team lead in points with six.  

2) Daryl Watts is the only Eagle to eclipse the 20-shot mark this season, let alone rack up more than 30 shots on the year. The reigning Patty Kazmaier Award winner is posting 5.2 a game.

3) Maddy McArthur totaled 12 saves in the third period on Friday night—her most in a single frame since tallying 13 in the first period of BC’s season opener against Minnesota Duluth.

Vermont:

1) All four of UVM’s games have been decided by two goals or less, and the Catamounts have found a way to score at least once in every contest this year.

2) Before Friday night’s victory over New Hampshire, UVM had yet to record the first goal of a game or enter the second period with a lead this season.

3) It wasn’t until Saana Valkama lit the lamp against the Wildcats that the Catamounts had a multi-goal scorer. In fact, six different UVM skaters took turns finding the back of the cage over the course of the opening three games of the 2018-19 campaign.

Last Meeting:

On Feb. 24, 2018, BC blew out the Catamounts, 6-1, closing out a two-game sweep of UVM for a chance to play in the Hockey East semifinals. The Eagles leaned on the power play, scoring four goals with a one-man advantage. Toni Ann Miano and Newkirk stole the show, notching three points apiece. As a whole, BC outscored UVM, 9-2, in the two-game postseason series.

Outlook:

Historically, the Eagles have had the Catamounts’ number. BC is 43-3-3 against UVM since 1999-2000—the year in which both New England teams started playing each other as Division I representatives. Since Jan. 14, 2012, head coach Katie Crowley’s team hasn’t lost to UVM. The Eagles are 24-0-1 in that span and have rattled off 20 consecutive wins over their Hockey East counterpart. A loss to the Catamounts on Saturday afternoon would be colossal to say the least. That said, UVM certainly has experience on its side. The Catamounts returned 15 skaters from last year’s team that squared off against BC on five separate occasions. If nothing else, they know what to expect from the Eagles.

Featured Image by Sam Zhai / Heights Staff