Women's Hockey

Previewing 2018-19 Women’s Hockey: UConn

Boston College women’s hockey is on a roll, a seven-game roll to be exact. The No. 5 Eagles (7-2, 4-0 Hockey East) have followed up a pair of losses to open the season with seven-consecutive victories—a stretch in which they have outscored their opponents, 24-6. They will look to keep the momentum going when they take on Connecticut (5-3-1, 2-2-1) on Thursday night. BC will be playing in the friendly confines of Kelley Rink, where it has not lost a game so far this season. The Eagles will also be putting their perfect conference record on the line, as they look to defend their Hockey East title.

Who is BC playing?

UConn

When is BC playing?

Thursday, Nov. 1, 7 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

Kelley Rink, Chestnut Hill, Mass

How to Watch:

The game will be available to stream on WatchESPN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) BC’s penalty kill has been dominant thus far, allowing just four goals on 38 opportunities. Its power play unit has also impressed after a slow start, lighting the lamp on nine of 37 chances, good for second in Hockey East.

2) Daryl Watts has picked up where she left off last season, leading the team with five goals.  She has also tallied four assists and leads the team with 43 shots.

3) Freshman goaltender Maddy McArthur has been nothing short of spectacular this season, conceding just 12 goals in nine games. This includes just one shutout, but the most goals she has allowed in a game during the win streak is one.

UConn:

1) UConn leads Hockey East with 32 goals scored. Pacing the dynamic Huskies offense is Morgan Wabick, who has recorded six goals along with four assists. Five of her six goals have come on the power play, where she is especially dangerous.

2) UConn’s power play unit also leads the conference with 12 goals in 35 attempts. The penalty kill has also impressed for the Huskies, as the shorthanded squad has killed 22 of 25 penalties.

3) The Huskies have yet to hit their stride in conference play, posting just a 2-2-1 Hockey East record so far, despite claiming the tournament title last season. They will hope to turn around their Hockey East campaign with a statement win against BC.

Last Meeting:

These sides met four times last season, the most recent of which came in the Hockey East Tournament. The Huskies got the better of head coach Katie Crowley’s Eagles, 4-2, at Matthews Arena in Boston. BC took an early lead in the first period from a Watts goal, but then UConn rattled off three-straight scores to gain the advantage. A third-period goal from Makenna Newkirk pulled the Eagles within one, but the comeback fell just short as the Huskies tacked on an empty-net goal and earned the conference trophy.

Outlook:

The Eagles are clicking right now, dominating conference opponents left and right. This UConn team, however, has a dynamic offense that can put up goals in a hurry. While BC can certainly mount a comeback—it did this twice against a ranked St. Lawrence team—a quick goal from the Huskies could motivate them to keep pushing for the upset. BC will need to stay disciplined on the penalty kill and get in shooting lanes to try to stop the UConn power play. The Eagles have so many legitimate scoring options that the goals can come from anywhere and at any time, but how the two defenses and goaltenders play could be the difference in this matchup.

Featured Image by Maggie DiPatri / For The Heights