2019 Men’s and Women’s Beanpot Preview

2019 beanpot

Welcome to The Heights’ coverage of the 2019 Beanpot Tournament, where, once again, the men’s and women’s college hockey world will focus in on four Boston-area teams as they battle it out in the annual competition—one that includes eight total games, spanning from Feb. 4-13. You’ll find links to previews and team capsules below.

MEN’S HOCKEY: 67th ANNUAL BEANPOT

The last two year’s haven’t been friendly to Boston College in the Beanpot—the Eagles have lost all four games they’ve played. This year won’t be any easier, especially with the field featuring two ranked teams and a third receiving votes. No. 12 Northeastern, who won last year for the first time in 30 years, will be the favorites, but you can’t sleep on No. 19 Harvard or Boston University (receiving votes) making a run. While shaking off its non-conference and Beanpot struggles against the Crimson would be hugely beneficial for BC, it’s no easy matchup.

To read about the four-game winless streak, click here for a breakdown of just what went wrong for Jerry York’s bunch by sports editor Bradley Smart.

And, for more detailed previews, click on one of the teams below to get season summaries, stats, and players to watch.

WOMEN’S HOCKEY: 41st ANNUAL BEANPOT

Once again, the Beanpot runs through Boston College. After a dramatic overtime victory over Boston University in the 2018 final, the No. 7 Eagles have now captured three straight titles in the tournament, and have a realistic shot at a fourth, though the road certainly won’t be easy. To emerge victorious once again, BC will have to first get through Harvard, before finding a way to knock off either No. 3 Northeastern or No. 8 BU in the final.

To read about the three-peat for Katie Crowley’s side, click here for a detailed look by by associate sports editor Peter Kim.

Three Years, Three Titles

YearFirst RoundChampionship
2018Beat Northeastern, 5-2Beat Boston University, 4-3 (OT)
2017Beat Boston University, 3-2Beat Northeastern, 2-1
2016Beat Harvard, 6-0Beat Northeastern, 7-0

THE BALD WIN PODCAST

Listen to managing editor Andy Backstrom and sports editors Bradley Smart and Peter Kim discuss the latest in BC basketball as well as an in-depth preview of both Beanpot’s in this week’s edition of The Bald Win.