Beanpot Team Capsule: Boston University Women’s Hockey

boston university women's hockey

Numbers to Know:

Record: 15-6-6, 12-5-5 HEA, t-8th in pairwise
Goals For: 87 (3.22 per game)
Goals Against: 50 (1.85 per game)
Save Percentage: 0.933
Power Play: 21-for-89 (23.6 percent)
Penalty Kill: 83-for-99 (83.8)

Season Summary:

The Terriers started off the season quite shaky. Through its first seven games, Boston University only notched a single win. Granted, three of those games came against Northeastern, the top team in the conference, but the Terriers also struggled to edge out inferior opponents, tying Connecticut and Merrimack. Ever since October, though, BU has been on a roll, only losing three times and picking up several marquee wins in the process, such as sweeps of rival Boston College and Providence. Couple this with the fact that the Terriers have been undefeated since Jan. 6, and it’s clear that this team is heading into the Beanpot with plenty of momentum.

Players to Watch:

1) Jesse Compher, F

With a whopping 30 assists, Compher leads the Hockey East in points per game with 1.65. She can also put the puck in the back of net, having scored 13 goals this season, the second most on the team. Using her blazing speed, she can skate around defenders with ease and set up her teammates with fantastic scoring opportunities. Only a sophomore, Compher has displayed remarkable improvement from her freshman season, a year in which she recorded nine goals and 17 assists.

2) Abby Cook, D

Cook’s experience and ability to lead play in the offensive zone has her playing the role of a vital cog in the Terriers’ defense. The junior ranks third on the team in points with 17—seven goals and 10 assists. She performed particularly well against BC on Dec. 1, logging two goals and an assist in the second period. This outing propelled her team to a huge victory over the Eagles, who were ranked No. 4 in the nation at the time.

3) Corinne Schroeder, G

Schroeder, like Compher, has made tremendous strides from freshman to sophomore year. Schroeder’s save percentage of .913 from last year was third-worst in Hockey East. Now, she ranks fifth in the conference with a .931 save percentage. With Schroeder tightening up the net, the Terriers now only allow 1.8 goals per game. Her recent performance in the team’s series with Merrimack, in which she allowed three goals in each contest, was a setback, but she’ll look to rebound in the Beanpot.

Last Beanpot:

15-54-2, Beanpot Championships: 1 (1981)

BU’s Beanpot started with promise last season—the Terriers defeated Harvard, 3-2. The Terriers scored all three of their goals in the third period and held the Crimson scoreless in the final period for the win. With BC advancing past Northeastern, the Terriers and Eagles renewed their rivalry in the championship. The final was a heartbreaking loss for BU, a 4-3 overtime decision in BC’s favor. Victoria Bach tallied her 100th career goal, but a goal by BC’s Toni Ann Miano in the extra frame ended the game and continued the Terriers’ Beanpot woes.   

Outlook:

BU will have to perform at the top of its game to edge out a Northeastern team ranked No. 3 in the country. Not only do the Huskies sit at the top of Hockey East, they have also beat the Terriers twice and recorded one tie. The Huskies boast a top offense and arguably have one of the top defenses in the country as well. Goaltender Aerin Frankel is the core of the backend—she is posting a 1.43 goals against average, a mark that’s good for the conference lead. If the Terriers pull off the upset, they will likely meet BC, which will almost certainly defeat a Harvard team that has only accrued five wins on the season. The matchup with the Eagles would be far easier than BU’s tilt with Northeastern. While BC has largely regained its mojo, the Terriers already swept the Eagles in the Battle of Commonwealth Ave. The Terriers have only won the Beanpot once, and that came back in 1980-81. But if BU can build on the momentum it currently possesses, the Terriers have a shot at ending their championship drought.

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / For The Heights

Avatar
About Luke Pichini 82 Articles
Luke Pichini was a former assistant sports editor for The Heights. A Philadelphia native, he always trusted the process both on the court and in the newsroom. You can still check out his sublime tweets @LukePichini.