Beanpot Team Capsule: Northeastern Men’s Hockey

northeastern men's hockey

Numbers to Know:

Record: 15-8-1, 9-6-1 HEA, 15th in pairwise
Goals For: 73 (3.04 per game)
Goals Against: 55 (2.29 per game)
Save Percentage: 0.922
Power Play: 17-for-100 (17 percent)
Penalty Kill: 62-for-75 (82.7 percent)

Season Summary

It’s been an interesting season for the No. 12 Huskies, who lost star forwards Dylan Sikura and Adam Gaudette to the NHL at the conclusion of a 2017-18 campaign that saw Northeastern fall in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Michigan. The Huskies have maintained a presence in the USCHO poll all season long, though, and boast a win over current No. 1 St. Cloud State to their name. On the flip side, Northeastern has struggled of late, losing four of its past five—albeit to ranked teams in No. 2 Massachusetts, No. 9 Providence, and No. 17 UMass Lowell. It’ll enter the tournament with a record of 0-1-1 against Beanpot opposition, having lost to and drawn with Boston University at the beginning of November.   

Players to Watch:

1) Zach Solow, F

Solow has stepped into the vacancy filled by Sikura and Gaudette adeptly, and leads the team with 11 goals, three of which came in a hat trick during a 9-1 blowout win over Merrimack. He’s shifted from a secondary option—he accumulated 21 assists as a freshman—to the starring role for Northeastern.

2) Jeremy Davies, D

The junior from Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec has been a key piece for a Huskies defensive unit that allows the third-fewest goals per game—2.29—in the conference. He also chips in on the attack and leads the team in assists with 15. Davies was a seventh round pick of the New Jersey Devils in 2016 and finished +18 in net rating last season.

3) Cayden Primeau, G

The sophomore has started 21 of Northeastern’s 24 contests this season and has recorded a .921 save percentage en route to a 13-7-1 record in his 21 starts. Also a seventh round pick—to the Montreal Canadiens—Primeau has risen up NHL prospect charts, especially after stopping 46 of 47 shots to beat the Minutemen.

Last Beanpot:

All-Time Beanpot Record: 41-91. Beanpot Championships: 5

In the first round of the 2018 Beanpot, the Huskies took on Boston College. Sikura and Gaudette both recorded goals, but the real star was Primeau. The then-freshman goaltender stopped all 37 Eagles shots on the night, as Northeastern handed BC a humbling 3-0 defeat to advance to the championship game. There, the Huskies faced Boston University, looking for their first championship in 30 years. Logan Cockerill opened the scoring for the Terriers, but Northeastern answered with four straight goals to take a commanding lead before holding off a late BU rally to claim the trophy for the first time since 1988. Gaudette finished with a hat trick and was named tournament MVP.

Outlook:

Gaudette and Sikura may be gone, but the No. 12 Huskies certainly still have the talent to win the Beanpot. They have an 0-1-1 season record against BU, which they’ll be facing in the first round, but have the pieces to grab a win against the Terriers this time around. Solow, as well as Brandon Hawkins, who is tied for the team lead in assists, combine for a formidable forward duo that’s capable of keeping up with anyone offensively. Meanwhile in goal, Primeau has had a middling season—he ranks seventh in Hockey East in save percentage—but that doesn’t reflect his true ability. If he can put on a repeat performance of the 2018 tournament, when he stopped 75-of-77 shots across the two games, the Huskies will be a tough out for anyone. Primeau will likely be the deciding factor in whether or not Northeastern is able to capture its second-straight Beanpot.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Editor

Avatar
About Peter Kim 160 Articles
Peter Kim is the assistant sports editor of The Heights. He’s from Seattle, will die happy if the Mariners make the playoffs once in his lifetime, and still refuses to watch any of Super Bowl XLIV. Follow him on twitter @PeterKim_4