Beanpot Team Capsule: Northeastern Women’s Hockey

northeastern women's hockey

Numbers to Know:

Record: 20-3-3, 18-2-2 HEA, 4th in pairwise
Goals For: 93 (3.58 per game)
Goals Against: 46 (1.77 per game)
Save Percentage: 0.932
Power Play: 16-for-97 (16.5 percent)
Penalty Kill: 86-for-94 (91.5 percent)

Season Summary

The Huskies are having nothing short of a spectacular season. Northeastern currently holds the No. 3 spot in the USCHO poll and is six points clear of BC in the Hockey East standings. The Huskies have just two conference losses all season—and one was a bizarre defeat to Holy Cross, the current last-place team in the standings. Freshmen Alina Mueller and Chloe Aurard have injected new life into an team that has scored the fifth-most goals in the country and can claim to have a legitimate shot at a Frozen Four berth as the regular season begins to wind down.

Players to Watch:

1) Alina Mueller, F

Mueller leads the Huskies in total points and assists and is second on the team with 14 goals. BC fans will know her well—in three games against the Eagles this season, she’s scored twice and added three assists.

2) Brooke Hobson, D

In addition to a high-flying offense, Northeastern has a stellar defensive unit. The Huskies allow just 1.77 goals per game, sixth-fewest in the country, and Hobson has been a big part of that. She also contributes on the offensive end, as her 16 assists are second-most on the team behind Mueller.

3) Aerin Frankel, G

The sophomore from Briarcliff Manor, N.Y. has taken over the starting goaltender spot from long-time starter Brittany Bugalski and has been stellar. She has a .945 save percentage, which has helped her to a 15-1-1 record as a starter.

Last Beanpot:

All-Time Beanpot Record: 48-28-1. Beanpot Championships: 16

Last season, the tournament certainly didn’t go as planned for the Huskies. In the first round, they faced BC, and found themselves in a 2-0 hole after one period, thanks to two goals from Daryl Watts. Northeastern fought back in the second, managing to knot the game at two midway through the frame, but simply didn’t have the firepower to keep up with the Eagles. Makenna Newkirk struck for a hat trick over the final 27 minutes, and BC coasted to a 5-2 win, sending the Huskies to the consolation round against Harvard. Against the Crimson, it looked like Northeastern was well on its way to a third-place finish. Tori Sullivan’s goal just under eight minutes into the second period gave the Huskies a 3-1 advantage, but once again Northeastern fell victim to a late flurry. Two goals from Becca Gilmore two minutes apart in the third capped off three unanswered scores from Harvard and doomed the Huskies to a 4-3 loss and a fourth-place finish.

Outlook:

This team should feel good about its chances to wrestle the crown away from Boston College, which is the three-time defending champion. Northeastern holds a 2-0-1 record against Boston University, the team it will face in the first round, and has outscored the Terriers, 10-4, in head-to-head matchups this season. A possible final against the Eagles looms, should BC manage to beat Harvard, but regardless the Huskies will have their eyes set on the trophy. They’re 2-1 on the season against the Eagles, and—with a deadly attack, combined with a rock-solid defense—have all the tools to finally dethrone the defending champions.

Featured Image by Celine Lim / Heights Editor

Avatar
About Peter Kim 163 Articles
Peter Kim is the assistant sports editor of The Heights. He’s from Seattle, will die happy if the Mariners make the playoffs once in his lifetime, and still refuses to watch any of Super Bowl XLIV. Follow him on twitter @PeterKim_4