“Talk,” “Who Do You Love,” and More in New Singles

Singles

“Talk” – Khalid ft. Disclosure

Loved-up ’80s-esque synths usher in Khalid and Disclosure’s collab “Talk.” The track pulls from various genres to construct a beat that captures the essence of various love song tropes with a fresh and innovative spin. Khalid opens with the chorus of the song, laying the foundation for a low-stakes pop song with tons of replay value. Lacking in depth lyrically, the song does not claim to be anything more than a fun-loving potential hit.

A slow R&B clap beat courses throughout the song’s veins as Khalid’s smooth voice glides over the chorus that questions “Can’t we just talk? Can’t we just talk? / Talk about where we’re going.” Produced by Disclosure, twinkling flourishes loom around the easy-going lyrics. Disclosure does not attempt to overpower Khalid’s vocal strength with copious mixing on the track, resulting in a song that is palatable both lyrically and musically.  

With suggestive lyrics, such as “Penthouse view, left some flowers in the room / I’ll make sure I leave the door unlocked,” the 20-year-old singer deals with more mature romantic subjects than he has in past hits like “Location” or “Young Dumb & Broke” without including unnecessary shock value. In avoiding the raunchy or risqué , Khalid and Disclosure position the track as the perfect Valentine’s Day radio hit.

“Who Do You Love” – The Chainsmokers ft. 5 Seconds of Summer

Unlike “Talk,” The Chainsmokers’ “Who Do You Love” suffers from false depth and overproduction. The EDM duo garishly adorns a song about suspected cheating—5 Seconds of Summer’s Luke Hemmings sings “Found cigarettes in your Fendi coat / Even though you don’t smoke”—with obnoxious autotuning and cold, uninspired beat drops. Breakup songs are no stranger to the party environment—think The Killers’ “Mr. Brightside” or Justin Bieber’s “Where Are Ü Now”—and it is clear that “Who Do You Love” lazily borrows from this strange niche of sad songs for parties without attempting to offer any semblance of originality.

“Super Cool” – Beck ft. Robyn and The Lonely Island

If “Baby Shark” is the “SICKO MODE” for babies, “Super Cool” is the elementary school version of “Adventure of a Lifetime.” Produced for The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part soundtrack, the song borrows the irreverent sarcasm character of the movie and its title. Beck—who has had a busy year producing Cage The Elephant’s upcoming album and promoting his own Grammy-nominated album Colors—enlists the vocal talents of Robyn and the hilarity of Lonely Island, who recently secured a bold-font spot on Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival’s 2019 lineup. The busy beat and overly-optimistic lyrics are sure to serve as a light-hearted complement to the second installment of the popular franchise.

Featured Image by RCA Records

About Kaylie Ramirez 104 Articles
Kaylie is the Arts Editor for The Heights. She is the funniest person you will ever meet because if you are reading this bio you have absolutely no chance of meeting Nick Kroll and John Mulaney. She can only be reached on AIM.