Metro, Featured Story, Boston

BPD Addresses College Students About Marathon Monday

William Gross, the commissioner of the Boston Police Department (BPD), issued a letter Monday addressed to college and university students in the Boston area, outlining safety and security measures to expect on Marathon Monday, April 15.

The letter warns that any spectators along the 26.2-mile course should expect a “significant presence of uniformed and plain clothed police officers.” BPD personnel will be present at all marathon-related activities all weekend, the letter says.

The first reminder the letter issued is that all spectators should be on the lookout for any suspicious activity and to call 911 or alert authorities in case of an emergency—“If you see something, say something.”

Spectators are advised to refrain from public drinking and drinking from open containers, and public intoxication and smoking marijuana are both prohibited. Gathering in large groups on rooftops, fire escapes, and porches will also be not tolerated.

While backpacks are not specifically prohibited for spectators, the letter warns that any spectators carrying bags might be subject to having them searched at designated checkpoints.

“In this time of heightened security we appreciate you not bringing backpacks to the marathon,” Gross wrote.

Vehicular traffic will be prohibited on many Boston streets in the days leading up to the marathon—more specific information as to which streets will be closed can be found on the BPD News site as the date draws closer. Further, outbound traffic on Newbury St. and Huntington Ave. will be blocked to allow more fluid spectator movement. The letter recommends using the T as much as possible to prevent heavy traffic, given the large amount of visitors that visit the city on Marathon Monday.

Photo Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons