Spring, Softball

DiEmmanuele, Martinez Earn Second Team All-ACC Honors

All season long, Lexi DiEmmanuele and Emme Martinez have been Boston College softball’s standout performers offensively. On Tuesday, they were both recognized by the ACC for their impressive seasons, garnering All-ACC Second Team honors.

The two were the only Eagles to record a batting average above .300 this season. DiEmmanuele, who made an All-ACC team for the first time in her career, led the team with a .352 average, recording 17 multi-hit games, as well as setting a program record with six triples this season.

The senior’s impact also went beyond the batter’s box. DiEmmanuele was lethal on the base paths—stealing 22 bases on 33 attempts—and was the only BC player to record more than 10 swipes this season. In fact, she ends her career with a program-best 103 stolen bases. DiEmmanuele also manned center field for the Eagles most of the season, committing just three errors and logging a .956 fielding percentage in the process. The Weston, Fla., native was the only BC player to start every game this season.

Martinez finished with a team-high 24 RBIs in 2019 en route to a .321 average and 50 hits, and was arguably at her best in the biggest moments. In the Eagles’ first win of the season—a 9-7 victory over Michigan State—she finished 5-for-6 at the plate, driving in the go-ahead run with a single in the 10th inning. Then, she gave BC the perfect start to an ACC weekend series against Syracuse, handing the Eagles a 4-3 win in the first game of the set with a walk-off RBI single.

A week later, against N.C. State, the sophomore broke up Devin Wallace’s no-hitter in the seventh inning, helping spark a seventh-inning rally that led to another 4-3 victory. Finally, in a midweek game versus Connecticut in April, Martinez smoked a double into center field in the eighth inning for yet another game-winning RBI. She finishes on the All-ACC list for the second straight season, after earning a spot on the All-ACC Freshman team in 2018.

It was a disappointing season for BC, which won just one conference weekend series all season long, and will lose DiEmmanuele to graduation. Still, Martinez should provide the Eagles’ offense with a solid building block in 2020, as BC seeks to rebound and finish above .500 once again.   

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / Heights Staff