Sports, Spring, Lacrosse

Lacrosse Head Coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein Agrees to New Contract

Fresh off a third straight National Championship appearance, Boston College lacrosse head coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein was rewarded with a new contract, Director of Athletics Martin Jarmond announced in a statement released on BCEagles.com Wednesday afternoon.

“My plan is to keep Acacia here at Boston College for a long time and see her continue leading our championship-level program she and her staff have built here,” Jarmond said in the statement. “I am fortunate to work alongside Acacia and I felt it was important to commit more resources to continue our competitive excellence.”

Walker-Weinstein, who just concluded her seventh year as BC head coach, boasts a record of 113-38 in Chestnut Hill. She is by far the winningest head coach in program history—Bowen Holden, who coached the Eagles from 2006-2012 and has the second most wins in BC history, holds a career record of 64-60.

“I am so excited to continue leading this special program here at Boston College,” Walker-Weinstein said. “The support we have received from Martin and the athletic department has been tremendous as we continue to build a program that competes every year for trophies.”

Indeed, since the 2017 NCAA Tournament, BC has been nothing short of special. In 2017, despite being unseeded the Eagles rattled off four consecutive wins to advance to the national title game. There, they lost to the top seed, Maryland, 16-13. Since then, though, BC has proved that Cinderella run was no fluke. In the past two campaigns, the Eagles are a combined 44-4, have gone 14-0 in the difficult ACC during the regular season, and have advanced to two more National Championships.

Walker-Weinstein was also responsible for recruiting and developing the best senior class in BC history, which includes Tewaaraton Award winner Sam Apuzzo, another Tewaaraton Award top-five finalist in Dempsey Arsenault, and Kenzie Kent—who set the program single-season record for most assists.

Despite falling just short in the National Championship in each of the past three seasons, the new contract certainly sends a message that Jarmond believes that Walker-Weinstein can continue to lead teams that compete at the highest level and eventually win a national title. The Eagles will need to replace almost 400 points from this year’s senior class, but Walker-Weinstein has hit the recruiting trail hard. The incoming class, per Inside Lacrosse, boasts a pair of five-star recruits, while the 2020 recruiting class has three ranked at the same caliber.

As Jarmond said in the statement, “The future is bright for our women’s lacrosse program with Acacia at the helm.”

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / Heights Editor