Report: F Vin Baker Jr. to Transfer From BC

vin baker jr.

Boston college men’s basketball forward Vin Baker Jr. is transferring, Jeff Goodman of Stadium reported on Wednesday evening.

The son of a former NBA player, Baker Jr. never truly found his role with the Eagles. Despite displaying plenty of raw talent and athleticism—he was fifth on the team with a 37.5 inch vertical and was the only player to clear 12 feet on the Vertec—Baker Jr. played just 12 games as a sophomore. He shot a mere 26.3 percent from the field in limited action, averaging 1.3 points, a rebound, and 6.7 minutes per game.

The news doesn’t come as much of a surprise, as the former two-star forward was buried on the depth chart behind the likes of Jairus Hamilton, Jared Hamilton, and Steffon Mitchell. With a pair of similarly regarded forwards arriving in the form of Calvin Felder and Kamari Williams—both two-star recruits standing at 6-foot-7—Baker Jr. decided to exit.

Verbal Commits announced that he entered the transfer portal a few hours before Goodman’s tweet, but his destination is unknown. His highest-scoring performance over his two years on Chestnut Hill came against Pittsburgh during his debut season, when he came off the bench and scored 11 points in 11 minutes of a 23-point win. Other than that, though, Baker Jr. never cracked double digits in scoring and surpassed 10 minutes just three times in 2018-19.

Baker Jr. is yet another transfer under head coach Jim Christian, who has seen plenty of players leave the program since his arrival. Classmate Avery Wilson transferred to Southeast Louisiana earlier this offseason, joining the likes of Mike Sagay, Ty Graves, Matt Milon, and A.J. Turner over the past few seasons.

Still, it was clear that Baker Jr. didn’t factor into Christian or the Eagles’ plans in the coming seasons, so it’ll be interesting to see where the former guard lands. A smaller school where he has the chance to work his way into a starting role is most likely—Sagay went to IUPUI, Milon chose William & Mary.

Featured Image by Bradley Smart / Heights Editor

Bradley Smart
About Bradley Smart 334 Articles
Bradley is the sports editor for The Heights. He believes that America does truly run on Dunkin, baseball teams should always wear stirrups, you can't outrun a bear, and being down 3-1, in anything, is never cause for concern. You can follow him on Twitter @bradleysmart15.