Metro, Boston

Mayor Walsh Reactivates Human Rights Commission

The City of Boston will reactivate the Human Rights Commission, Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh, BC ’09, announced on Monday. The Commission is a seven-member body originally created by the City ordinance in 1984 to ensure proper nondiscriminatory application of legislation. It has been inactive since 1996.

After a 22-year hiatus, it will receive reports of discrimination regarding the workplace, housing, credit, education, public accommodations, and more with a focus on relieving the worries of immigrant communities, according to the release. The Commission will have the power to adopt rules and regulations, issue reports and investigation results, conduct hearings, call witnesses, and recommend legislation to both the mayor and the City Council.

The Commission’s members, headed by former State Representative Evandro Carvalho, are appointed by Walsh. 

While in office, Carvalho represented the Fifth Suffolk District, which includes Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood, from 2013 to 2018. Prior to his legislative position, Carvalho served as an assistant district attorney for Suffolk County. He is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst and Howard University School of Law.

“I’m honored to be chosen by Mayor Walsh to lead the Human Rights Commission,” Carvalho said in the release. “At this time in our country, I’m proud Boston has doubled down on our commitment to protect and advance the rights of all people. I look forward to continuing to serve the people of our beautiful City in this new capacity. I thank Mayor Walsh for this opportunity.”

Featured Image by Jonathan Ye / Heights Editor

August 29, 2019