Metro, Boston

Valet Shot at Brigham and Women’s Hospital

Update: Suffolk County District Attorney Rachael Rollins announced on Feb. 25 that police officers accidentally shot the hospital valet on Feb. 7. The firearm in possession of suspected gunman Juston Root was discovered to be a replica after he was shot and killed by police in Brookline. Read the updated story here.

A Brigham and Women’s Hospital valet was shot during a police confrontation on Friday morning. A suspected gunman was later shot dead by the police. The situation is no longer a threat to the public, according to the Massachusetts State Police Department.

Brigham and Women’s is a clinical partner of the Connell School of Nursing. M. Colleen Simonelli, the associate dean for undergraduate programs in CSON, said that to her knowledge, no BC students were present at the hospital during the shooting. 

The hospital tweeted on Friday morning that the man who was wounded is currently in stable condition.

The police arrived at Brigham and Women’s at 9:21 a.m. after they received a call about a person in possession of a gun, according to The Boston Globe. The suspect, who himself suffered a gunshot wound, assaulted an officer before he drove off in his car. 

The suspect has been identified as 41-year-old Juston Root of Mattapan, Mass.

Police chased Root from the hospital to the intersection of Route 9 and Hammond Street, near the Newton-Brookline border, where he was shot and killed by the police, according to The Globe. Root crashed into multiple cars and ran across the parking lot of a Star Market in an attempt to escape the police before he was killed.

Correction (2/26/2020, 11:40 a.m.): An earlier version of this article stated that the suspect, Juston Root, injured the valet. At the time of publication, it was unknown who injured the valet, and Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins announced on Feb. 25 that it was police officers, not Root, who did so.

Featured Image Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons