Arts, Television, Column

FX’s ‘Executioner’ Has All The Blood, But No Guts

The Bastard Executioner is dull. The show can be summarized as: Drawn by the sword, seduced by beauty, and bored by dialogue. This new FX original tries to cash in on the fantasy drama craze, frontlined by the monolithic Game of Thrones. In many respects, The Bastard Executioner attempts to mimic the successes of Thrones to a fault, ultimately missing why fans so fervently rush to the each weekly installment. Though its set pieces and camera work leave a pretty picture to be viewed on screen, the soul behind the violence and sword play within this world often falls on disinterested ears and wandering eyes.

This quest follows Wilken Brattle (Lee Jones), a knight in 14th century Wales, as he attempts to navigate the chaotic time, rife with the blood of war, destructive pillaging and slimy politics. Awakening from a dream, Brattle is called once again to pick up his sword and follow the orders of a mysterious figure, delving into a new bloodstain chapter, in his already dark past. This brings him at odds with the English Baron of the region Erik Ventris (Brian F. O’Byrne), who imposes a heavy tax on the populace. Soon, Wilken, pushed by the influences of his dreams and vision, leads a force to oppose such rule and  accomplish his greater purpose in his war-torn homeland.

The Bastard Executioner does not shy away from violence. The violence in the show is heavy to say the least and does not seem to pull many punches from its first scene to its last. That being said, in many respects, it appears to function as a crutch on which the rest of the show lies. It is by far the most engrossing aspect of the show. From cascading entrails to characters all but backstroking in blood, the show it certainly a visual spectacle. Due to the excessiveness of this violence you have to wonder why the show relies on it so heavily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWst4WokXUM

The violence is not so much used as a way in which to speak about an aspect of the story, rather a center piece: the reason for the show. The loose narrative exhibited in the premiere contains so many tropes of the genre, our main character’s quest to fulfill his destiny being the paramount example, that I ask the question: what does The Bastard Executioner bring to the table that we haven’t already seen before?

An obvious comparison is Game of Thrones, which has managed to grow its audience through each of its five seasons. Unsurprisingly, Thrones maintains a firm grasp on its audience by giving them characters that they can relate to. From the get go, Bastard Executioner kills off main characters and spills gallons of blood for nothing more than shock value. The show seems to have skipped the main course and headed straight for dessert. Such indulgences not only leaves audiences hungry for something more substantive, but maybe a little sickly by the end.

Another shortcoming of the show comes from its handling of sex scenes. Suffering from the same kind of disconnected shallowness that befell its scenes of violence, it feels as though the scenes involving sex lacked the same kind of emotional backing. The sexposition made famous by Thrones, is also noticeably absent, leaving the scenes to provide minimal characterization,

All the scenes together seem a collage of fantasy staples, without of  an engaging story to tie it all together.

What makes a show worth watching? When we think of genre it is likely that we think of various aspects that make up such a tale. None of these on their own, however, define the medium of story completely. Neither do the ripest nor the most savory aspects offer a complete picture as to what a genre is. Though they may be the first things that come to mind, the specifics, that is, the story laid into the fabric of the medium, allows for a meaningful story to be realized.

The Bastard Executioner at first glance looks like a fun time and does not disappoint in terms of action and engaging set pieces. And yet as a viewer, I wonder what kind of longevity a show like this has. What will I come back for? Though the show certainly doesn’t lack in its display of brutish force, I wonder what else does it have to show beyond the sword?

“A blow with a word strikes deeper than a blow with the sword” -Robert Burton.

There are three other humours beside blood.

Photo Courtesy of Imagine Television