Back to Boston: Guide to the T Ready to break the BC bubble? Conquer the T and explore the city all at once.

For those new to Boston, the T may seem confusing and fairly rundown. For Boston College student’s however, the T is a much cheaper alternative to calling an Uber. The Green Line is the largest network of trams that runs through the city, and the most convenient for BC students. The end of the B line is BC, located across the road from Saint Ignatius Church, in between White Mountain Creamery and El Pelón. The next closest T stop is Reservoir on the D line. To get there, take the Commonwealth Ave. All stops bus to the Reservoir T stop, or, if it’s a nice day, just grab a few friends and make the 15 minute walk. If you’re taking the bus, make sure to download the rider app to track the bus schedules throughout the day. There is a lot to explore outside the confines of Chestnut Hill, and the T is the best way to get there. Here are just a few of the places just a short ride on the T can take you.

Allston

Nine stops inbound (this means heading into downtown Boston) from BC on the B line is Harvard Avenue, leaving you in the heart of Allston. The neighborhood is known primarily for having an abundance of Asian restaurants, but also known for acting as a buffer zone between BC and Boston University students. The area is also home to a vibrant music scene, and houses venues like Brighton Music Hall and Paradise Rock Club.

Cambridge / Davis Square

Take the D line from Reservoir 11 stops inbound to Park Street where you will transfer from the Green Line over to the Red Line (don’t worry, it’s way easier than it sounds). From Park Street, take the Alewife Red Line T outbound (this means leaving the city) three stops to Harvard. Once you’re there, take a sunset stroll on the Charles River bike path, or head to the Harvard Museum of Natural History to experience the Paleontology exhibit and view dinosaur skeletons. Davis Square is five stops outbound on the Alewife Red Line T. This major intersection in Somerville is home to a variety of restaurants including the Hawaiian-inspired poké joint Pokeworks, the Oat Shop, the area’s only oatmeal cafe. If you’re in the mood for a movie, stop into the Somerville Theatre, an intimate theater that opened in 1914 and still shows movies that fit the ornate setting.

Back Bay

While the B line and the D line will both get you to Back Bay, taking the D line will save you a significant amount of time (trust us, you should always take it). There are 20 stops separating BC and Copley on the B line, whereas only eight stops come between Reservoir and Copley. Getting off at Copley will position you near Newbury Street, the most iconic high-street in Boston boasting the best retail outlets the city has to offer. The street is lined with dozens of cafés and restaurants, making it the perfect place to take a stroll and indulge in some retail therapy on a sunny spring afternoon. In the winter months, Prudential Center is a smarter option for avoiding the cold. This indoor shopping mall located in the heart of the city includes a multi-story Under Armour store, and hundreds of other stores. Also take a peek into the Boston Public Library, and the stunning structure that is Trinity Church.

Fenway Park / TD Garden

For the full Boston experience, it’s necessary to attend a sports game. Six stops on the D line inbound from Reservoir will bring you to the Kenmore T stop, which is right across the road from the iconic baseball stadium. Don’t get confused and think that the Fenway stop gets you closer to the field, that’s a tourist move. Fenway Park is the oldest ballpark in the MLB, and has a certain old world charm that makes it seem like you are being transported back in time. The stadium is surrounded by dozens of restaurants and sports bars ideal for pre-match festivities. Continue on the D line another eight stops to North Station to reach TD Garden, the home of the Celtics and the Bruins.

C

hinatown / Boston Common

Take the D line 10 stops inbound to Boylston. This T stop is right next to Boston Common where you can enjoy the breathtaking weeping willow trees and watch the leafs turn vibrant shades of red, orange, and yellow in the fall. Walking distance from the Boylston T stop is Chinatown. Navigate yourself through the narrow streets lined with highrises, and discover quaint Chinese restaurant’s serving the best dumplings in town. Take the time to stop into the little shops selling Chinese apothecary items, and pick up a souvenir to bring back to your dorm. Also make sure to take advantage of the gardens that border the majestic Chinatown gate, and offer a little bit of serenity amidst the bustle of the city.

North End

Haymarket is 12 stops from Reservoir inbound on the D line. The North End, also known as Little Italy, is the oldest residential neighborhood in Boston known for its outstanding Italian restaurants. Also nearby is the Haymarket itself, one of Boston’s historic outdoor market selling every kind of produce imaginable. But one site that you cannot miss is the New England Holocaust Memorial, a structure and experience that will move you beyond words.

Featured Image by Julia HopkinsKaitlin Meeks

print

About Will Batchelor