2018 Momentum Awards

M. Shawn Copeland is a professor defined by “frisson,” sought out via change. Connor Kratz is the epitome of change. Martin Jarmond is pursuing—and succeeding—at changing what Boston College Athletics means to the University community. The Unsung Staff members from Dining Services, Security, Maintenance, and Facilities are the pieces who hold this suddenly changing institution together as it grows. 

In such a time of social, political, and institutional change, The Heights is proud to award all of these recipients the 2018 Momentum Awards.

These are their stories.

– Jack Goldman, Copy Editor

The Sense of Humor – Tony Bianchi The 19-year Boston College veteran now serves as the campus security guard, doubling as O'Neill Library's unsung hero and jokester.

Members of Boston College’s staff serve as the heartbeat of this institution. Our community is incredibly fortunate to have this ...
Read More
Manuel Miranda

The Ultimate Sacrifice – Manuel Miranda At 18 years old, Miranda uprooted his home in order to make a life for himself and his family in a new country.

Read More
Connor Kratz

A Healthier Vision From UGBC to Students for Sexual Health, Connor Kratz works to create change—by going through the system and around it.

S itting in the lobby of a Planned Parenthood health center, Connor Kratz, MCAS ’18, felt a deep dread inside ...
Read More
martin jarmond

Pushing the P.A.C.E. Martin Jarmond—the youngest Director of Athletics in the Power Five—arrived at Boston College with a vision and hasn’t wasted any time since.

P osted up on a couch in his third-floor Conte Forum office, Boston College Director of Athletics Martin Jarmond swayed ...
Read More