Metro, Politics

BC Alum Mayor Walsh Announces Plans For Reelection

Sitting in front of a room filled with reporters during The Boston Globe’s Political Happy Hour at Suffolk University on Sept. 9, Mayor Martin J. Walsh, WCAS ’09, unexpectedly announced that he is running for reelection in 2017.

Boosted by high ratings, Walsh’s announcement fits the bill as a surprise—he had not given away his future intentions, and rumors were circulating that he might seek a higher office.

“I’m running for reelection,” Walsh said in the interview with The Globe. “I announced it here. I haven’t said it before … Let me just get through the next 24 months.”

Born the son of Irish immigrants in Dorchester, Mass., Walsh has risen through the political ranks, previously serving as a State Representative for the 13th district of Suffolk county.

When his predecessor, the late Thomas M. Menino, Boston’s longest-ever serving mayor, announced in 2013 that he would not seek a sixth term, “Marty” saw an opportunity that he could not pass up. He resigned his post as a representative and entered the race, one of many candidates in a grudge match for the vacating seat. Uplifted by his legislative experience, he sought to improve the perception of the city among the younger generations, and create what he called a “24-hour Boston” by extending MBTA operation deep into the night.

After winning 51.5 percent of the vote in one of the closest elections in decades, Walsh became the second mayor of Boston in 20 years, and the first to hold a degree from Boston College.

This time around, things might not be as close, as Boston history has shown that an incumbent has an easy time securing a re-election. The last sitting mayor to lose an election was J.M. Curley in 1949—and he served a prison sentence just prior to the opening of the polls.

Dennis Hale, associate professor of political science at BC, agrees that the trend of incumbents securing further terms will continue, pointing to the low voter turnout as one of the causes of the continued dominance. He explained that the lower the voter turnout for a particular election is, the easier time an incumbent has in keeping his or her seat.

“You have to satisfy those already in the system,” Hale said. “You have to screw up pretty badly to lose [in Boston].”

During his tenure, Walsh has not come across too much criticism, as many of the services that have come under scrutiny after last winter’s historic snowfall do not fall under the domain of the City, but rather that of Governor Charlie Baker.

In fact, Hale added, when all things are considered, the mayor came out unscathed. “His perception is still positive,” he said. “He has not made any obvious mistakes.”

Following the failed Boston 2024 Olympic bid, Walsh is currently re-focusing his efforts on crime prevention, urban development, and maintaining adequate infrastructure.

Although Boston is not known to be overly violent, according to Hale, disturbances have been on the rise, especially in the more urban sectors of city. When that is coupled with the continued inefficiency of the MBTA, there are still serious questions being asked of Walsh.

But for now, at least, Hale believes Walsh should be safe.

“If he attends to the things he has to, he will be fine,” he said.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Senior Staff