News, Administration

Dean of Graduate School Of Social Work Steps Down

Alberto Godenzi, the dean of the School of Social Work, has announced that he will step down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year. Godenzi, who has been dean for 14 years, will continue to assist in the development of the University’s strategic plan.

During Godenzi’s tenure as the eighth dean of the school, the School of Social Work rose from 24 to 10 in the U.S. News Rankings. He also worked to make the school more innovative, specifically by creating the Latino Leadership Initiative and the Global Practice Program. The school is now known as a place that does traditional social work as well as work in the the more modern fields of environmental justice and neuroscience, Godenzi said to the Office of News and Public Affairs.

“I am very happy about what we have accomplished as a school of social work,” he said.

Godenzi, a native of Switzerland, has published several books and is an expert in the fields of gender-based violence and conflict studies.

“His colleagues at Boston College, and among the deans of the world’s top social work schools, recognize Alberto’s exceptional commitment to the field and, in particular, his talent for imagining the kinds of programs that meet the needs of the contemporary world,” Quigley said. “I will miss having him as a colleague in the Council of Deans.”

Featured Image Courtesy of Graduate School of Social Work