News, Academics

Gregory Kalscheur Appointed Permanent Dean Of MCAS

After serving as the interim dean of the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences (MCAS), Gregory Kalscheur, S.J., has been permanently appointed as the dean of MCAS starting this semester.

“It has been a tremendous privilege for me to serve as the interim dean of the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences over the course of the last year, and I am deeply grateful to have been given the opportunity to continue serving the University as dean,” Kalscheur said to the Office of News and Public Affairs.

Kalscheur will assume the position effective immediately, with the official announcement of the appointment made by University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., at the University Convocation on Wednesday evening.

Kalscheur will serve as the first dean since the recent renaming of the MCAS.

In addition to overseeing both the graduate and undergraduate arts and sciences programs, Kalscheur will also have a joint appointment as professor in the Boston College Law School and the political science department.

Kalscheur has served on the faculty of BC as an associate professor of BC Law School since 2003. In 2006, Kalscheur was recognized by the BC Law Student Association as an outstanding member of the faculty with the Emil Slizewski Faculty Excellence Award.

In 2012, he was appointed the senior associate dean for strategic planning and faculty development for MCAS. During his time as senior associate dean, Kalscheur assisted in reviewing academic programs, hiring faculty, and in promoting faculty engagement. He was later appointed interim dean in June of 2014, fulfilling the position vacated by David Quigley, who was named the provost and dean of faculties.

His term as interim dean was marked by his work on core curriculum renewal, faculty engagement and mentoring, and academic planning.

He also received positive feedback from students for his commitment to student formation, according to the Office of News and Public Affairs (ONPA).

Quigley has praised Kalscheur as an ideal successor for the deanship of the Morrissey College.

“Greg Kalscheur has long been one of my most trusted colleagues and someone to whom I’ve turned for wise counsel over the years,” Quigley said to the ONPA. “His work this past year with students, faculty, and alumni has convinced me that Greg is the right leader for the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences.”

Kalscheur holds degrees from Georgetown University, the University of Michigan, the Weston Jesuit School of Theology, and Columbia University. Kalscheur’s professional experience in the realm of political science includes his time as a clerk for Judge Kenneth F. Ripple, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and a litigator at Hogan & Harson, a major Washington, D.C.-based law firm.

After joining the Society of Jesus in 1992, Kalscheur taught political science at Loyola University in Maryland and assisted the director of Loyola’s Center for Values and Service.

“We are blessed with remarkably talented and energetic students,” Kalscheur said to the ONPA. “It is real gift to be able to work with exceptional faculty colleagues who aspire to collaborate across all the disciplines that make up the Morrissey College to help our students become women and men of depth, of thought, and creative imagination, well-prepared for meaningful lives and vocations.”