Sports, Winter, Fall

Roundup: Men’s Tennis, Sailing In Action Over The Weekend

Tennis

Men’s tennis fell short at the Florida Gulf Coast Invitational, where host Florida Gulf Coast University dominated both doubles and singles.

Senior Matt Wagner and sophomore Hank Workman reached the consolation round of Group A doubles, before being bested 8-6 in a close match against FGCU’s Andres Alfonzo and Eduardo Alfonzo.

FGCU juniors Lucas Vaz and Ricky Ventura would win the doubles title out of Group C, defeating the University of Texas at Arlington. Freshmen Jeffrey Melvin’s weekend in singles was ended by FGCU sophomore Adrien Reid. The Eagles will retire for the fall season and return in January to play Sacred Heart at home.

Swimming

The men’s swimming team had its three-meet win streak ended this weekend when it fell to Johns Hopkins University at the Thomas Murphy Invitational hosted by Loyola University.

Winning seven races over the two days of the invitational, the team’s highlight wins included the 50 and 100 freestyles, the 100 and 200 breaststrokes, and the 200 freestyle medley.

Women’s swimming closed its productive October with a loss to Johns Hopkins at the Thomas Murphy Invitational.
The weekend began roughly, when BC did not place first until Jordan Parry’s win in the 100 butterfly, the eighth event of the weekend. The Eagles would not come in first again for the remainder of the tournament.

Rowing

The Boston College women’s freshman rowing team headed to Hanover, N.H. this weekend for the Green Monster Invitational.

BC and Dartmouth dominated the regatta, with BC’s second boat placing first, just barely—and rather surprisingly—edging out the number one boat for BC’s freshman. Dartmouth’s first and second boats would place third and fourth, respectively, followed by BC’s third boat. Although the race was quite long, the competition for the top three spots was fierce, with a difference of only 2.5 seconds between first and third.

The teams have a week off before finishing the Charles River regatta series with the Foot of the Charles in mid-November.

Fencing

Boston College men’s fencing had a strong showing at ‘The Big One,’ the NEIFC Fall Invitational at Smith College.

A medalist would be found in each class by the end of the three-weapon tournament, the first of which would come to Ethan Grab in the Epee class, where he tied for third place with Cody Richard of Sacred Heart University. Hanmin Lee would tie for third in the Foil class as well.

BC’s men’s three-weapon team would place fourth overall. The women’s fencing team struggled individually, but found success as a whole.

Only Cara Hall and Ella Morgan would place, both in the Epee class. Hall was awarded first place, while Morgan was awarded eighth.

Sailing

Boston College sailing had a stellar weekend, competing in and winning two inter-conference regattas and the conference championship.

The weekend provided tough weather conditions with moderate wind and precipitation both days, highlighted by 20-plus knots and snow flurries on Sunday.

In the face of the textbook conditions of the Northeast this time of year, BC remained its elite self, scoring 82 to edge out Roger Williams University and Stanford for the Nickerson Trophy, and 55 against Yale’s 88 and Brown’s 103 for the Victorian Coffee Urn.

BC’s A set score at the NEISA championships would be enough to keep Yale at bay despite a heavy B set score for the NEISA title and the Schell trophy.

Featured Image by Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Editor