Sports, Fall

Women’s Rowing Competes In Head Of The Charles

Rowing

Women’s rowing competed at the 50th annual Head of the Charles Regatta on Sunday. The Women’s Championship Eights came in 22nd place, finishing with a time of 17:37.76.

Coxswain Kaitlyn Votta led the boat that was rowed by Makenzy Brown, Ellen Burr, Alycia Da’Loia-Moore, Megan Carney, Erin Anderson, Grace Grunau, Caitlin Yaccarino, and Margaret Hanlon.

In the Women’s Club Fours, the boat of Meghan Bailey, Catherine Goldberg, Morgan Rann, Haley Clarke, and Claire Mason came in 18th place out of 59 competitors.

Tennis

At the ITA Regionals, Katya Vasilyev beat her opponent from Columbia, 6-4, 6-2. Sophomore Lexi Borr followed up Vasilyev’s victory with a win in three sets against a Hannah Liljekvist of Seton Hall.

Assiya Dair beat Lina Qostal of Pennsylvania, 6-3, 6-1. Another victory for the Eagles came through Jessica Wacnik. She won her match versus Yale’s 6-1, 7-5. In doubles play, Wacnik and Borr beat Lehigh’s pairing. The BC duo, ranked No. 21 in the nation heading into the tournament, continued its winning ways by knocking off doubles pairings from Pennsylvania and Albany.

Cross Country

Women’s cross country was ranked No. 17 in the country, but finished 21st overall at the Wisconsin Adidas Invite. Depending on senior Liv Westphal to put in a strong effort at the meet, the Eagles got the performance they were looking for from their star.

Westphal ran the women’s 6K in 19:43, which was good enough for fourth place overall. Westphal set a personal record and came within eight seconds of the race’s winner, Iowa State’s Crystal Nelson. Laura Hottenrott, Danielle Winslow, Madelein Davison, and Sarah Gwinn followed Westphal for the Eagles. Sophomores Danna Levin and Megan Young finished behind that pack.

Women’s Golf

The Hoosier Invitational individual title was scooped up by an undefeated Cristina McQuiston over the weekend. The senior beat out Dana Gattone of Illinois and Northern Illinois’ Lena Gautier. McQuiston continued her winning ways on Sunday when she defeated Brianna Cooper of Illinois State after 16 holes of play.

As a team, the Eagles finished in fifth. A defeat at the hands of No. 3 Illinois cost the Eagles, though they did get victories in the match from McQuiston and Katia Joo. The pair also contributed to the team’s win over Northern Illinois. Christina Wang’s win was decisive in the match.

Sailing

The Eagles dominated the Captain Hurst Bowl, winning with a low score of 78. BC beat out Roger Williams, which scored a 122, and St. Mary’s College of Maryland, which scored a 164. Sailing also claimed a victory at the Lane Trophy in-conference regatta by defeating Tufts and Rhode Island. At the 35th Yale Women’s Intersectional, the Eagles could not pick up a win, as they settled for third place behind the hosts and Vermont. A third-place finish would have to suffice for BC as well, as it was beaten by Harvard and Roger Williams at the Norman Reid Team Race.

Swimming

In a meet against Bryant University, the women’s 200-yard medley relay team beat out its hosts A-team by under a second. The Eagles’ A and B teams for the men’s 200-yard medley relay beat out Bryant’s A-team. In the men’s 1,000-yard freestyle, Joshua Lacey, Drew Cuttic, and Anthony Richardson took the top three spots, while Emily Downs won the women’s 200-yard freestyle. Downs’ counterpart in the men’s race, Nicolas Henze, beat Bryant’s Benjamin Schulte. Conor Chamness, Josh Williams, and Daniel Creigton earned BC a sweep in the men’s 100-yard backstroke, and Melissa Merwin won the women’s edition of that race.

Featured Image by Jordan Pentalari / Heights Editor