Sports, Spring

ROUNDUP: Tennis Teams Lose In ACCs

Tennis

After defeating Pittsburgh in the first round of the ACC Tournament, the Boston College women’s tennis team crashed out of its conference competition in a 4-0 defeat to Notre Dame. The Eagles were handicapped from the start, as head coach Nigel Bentley did not have a complete lineup, which gave Julie Vrabel a victory by default. Lexi Borr and Jessica Wacnik had a lead against the No. 15 doubles pairing in the country, though the match went unfinished. Men’s tennis failed to get out of the first round of its ACC Tournament battle with Clemson. The Tigers beat the Eagles in both singles and doubles play.

Track

The men’s track team placed fifth at Stonehill College’s Skyhawk invitational. Freshman Joseph Arquillo’s win in the 3000-meter steeplechase highlighted the team’s day, while freshman Brian McDavitt finished third in the 5000-meter. Jack Hennessy’s second-place finish in the 500-meter was just three-tenths of second shy of a victory. Freshman Darren James finished just behind his senior teammate. BC’s women’s track team finished in second place. Sophomore Carly Daniel won the 100-meter dash, finishing with a personal record time of 12.4 seconds. Freshman Fallyn Boich won the javelin throw, hitting the 41.79-meter mark on her throw.

Rowing

The women’s rowing team’s varsity four beat out Northeastern and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology by 15.1 seconds to win at the Eastern Sprints. BC’s tri-team regatta was held on the Charles River with calm water at the start, though it become choppy throughout the course with a 7-9 mph cross tailwind. The Eagles’ varsity eight lost out by 9.2 seconds to Northeastern, though the second varsity eight defeated both the Huskies and Engineers. BC’s varsity four B defeated Northeastern, finishing with a 4.9-second advantage. The team put out two boats, which beat MIT in the 3rd varsity eight race.

Men’s Golf

John Jackopsic led the way for the men’s golf team at the ACC Golf Championship, where he placed 21st. After shooting two over on the first day of the tournament, Jackopsic bounced back to shoot four under in the second round.
The round consisted of six birdies, including three consecutive on holes 15, 16, and 17, as well as just two bogeys.
The junior finished two over par in the third round to be par for the course in the tournament. BC came in last place out of the 12 teams. Georgia Tech won the tournament, and Ollie Schneiderjans won the tournament, shooting 12 under par.

Sailing

The Eagles posted a third place finish at the New England Dinghy Championship.
Yale won the conference championship regatta handily, with a score of 111. Dartmouth beat out the Eagles by one point in the standings.
The Eagles’ finish qualifies them for the Coed National Championship in June. BC’s A division team of Raul Rios, Shelby Hamilton, and Christopher Dwyer tallied 67 points for the team in the regatta, while William Bailey, Erika Reineke, Katherine Wysocki, Kathleen Driscoll, and Elizabeth Barnard sailed for the squad’s B division side.