Sports, Winter

Roundup: Tennis Shines As Track And Field Falls Short

Men’s Tennis
The Eagles played host to Bryant University on Saturday, defeating their guests in a close battle, 4-3.

In doubles play, BC pair Kyle Childree and Hank Workman pulled off a 6-2 victory over Corey DiPaola and John Templeman of the Bulldogs.

Success would not be found, however, in the remaining matches, in which Bryant won both by scores of 6-1. After going behind early, the Eagles’ singles play turned around BC’s misfortunes. After two tough losses at the hands of Matt Kuhar and Oliver Welsh, Workman and Childree both won their hotly contested matches with tough first sets and easy second sets.

Kent Mukai and Will Turner completed the comeback, adding two more points to BC’s score and giving the Eagles the win.

Mukai led the Eagles later that day to a 7-0 rout over Hartford to bring their record to.3-3. BC’s next match is against Brown University on Feb. 19.

Women’s Tennis
Boston College rallied after a tough loss last week to shut out UMass 4-0. The team came out strong in doubles play, winning all three matches by scores of 6-2, 6-3, and 6-1. The Eagles moved into singles play with a 1-0 advantage over UMass.

Freshman Asiya Dair made short work of her opponent, topping off her first set’s 6-3 win with a 6-0 finish.

Sophomore Lexi Borr faced a tougher matchup, but won both of her sets as well, 6-3, 6-3. Jessica Wacnik also finished her match in two sets, after which singles play ended, with BC clinching the win after just three singles matches. Borr and Wacnik have still not lost a doubles match this season.

With the victory, the Eagles improved to 2-3 on the season. The women stick around the great Boston area for the next week, playing matches against Bryant College, Boston University, Brown, and Syracuse.

Track and Field
Boston College Track  and Field journeyed to Boston University for the Scarlet and White Invitational this past weekend.

The men’s team struggled to find the podium in the sprints, but they managed to come closer as the races grew longer. A trio of Eagles secured second, third, and fourth place in the 500-meter race, led by junior Kellen MacDonald. Freshman James Zingarini managed third place in the 1000 meters while seniors Joseph McConaughy and Anthony Bellitti secured fourth and fifth place respectively in the mile.

The women fared better than the men’s team. Robin Gross performed the best for the Eagles, finishing well in the 400meter dash.

The team will spend its fourth consecutive weekend at Boston University for the BU Valentine Invitational next Friday and Saturday.

Skiing
The ski team headed to Hanover, N.H. to battle at the Dartmouth Carnival this weekend.

Men’s Giant Slalom racers Carter Robertson, Chris Keating, and Chase Ryan all finished their races. Robertson finished fastest of the three, notching a time of 1:58.75 for 35th place. Robertson returned for the slalom, finishing in 30th place. Ryan was just 0.62 seconds behind Robertson, placing 34th.

Dartmouth’s women’s GS team nearly swept the top five spots, interrupted only by UVM’s Elli Terwiel, who finished in third. Meanwhile, four BC women finished the race, where Bug Pech finished in 36th place with a time of 2:04.41.

BC received 131 points to finish in 15th, ahead of University of Maine–Presque Isle. The team heads to the Middlebury Sugar Bowl next weekend for the Middlebury Carnival.

Featured Image by Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Graphic