Fall

BC Falls To Conference Foes Duke, Wake Forest

Senior outside hitter Katty Workman had 30 kills this weekend, but Boston College (11-17, 3-13 ACC) volleyball lost twice, (11-17, 3-13 ACC) dropping to 13th place in league play with road losses against Wake Forest (12-16, 4-12 ACC) and Duke (14-12, 9-7 ACC).

On Sunday afternoon, BC squared off with Duke in their first meeting this year. Both Katty Workman and Sol Calvete racked up double-doubles to keep the Eagles within striking distance, entering the break tied 1-1.

The third set featured a back-and-forth exchange during which the teams traded the first 12 points. Two consecutive Eagle attack errors put BC in a 20-15 hole, but the squad responded with four straight points to cut the deficit to just a point. The Blue Devil defense held off a streaking Eagle attack to clinch a 25-21 win and a 2-1 advantage heading into the fourth set.

It would prove to be the last, as BC, whose late-game heroics were nowhere to be found, suffered a 25-15 defeat. The Blue Devils dominated on both sides of the ball, racking up 14 blocks to the Eagles’ four and ending the match with four more aces than their ACC counterpart. Duke improves to over .500 with the victory, but remains several games back of first-place Louisville (20-5, 14-1 ACC).

BC’s game against Duke followed an all-too-familiar result at Wake Forest.

Friday’s game at Wake was promising to start, with BC stealing the opening set and jumping to an early 2-1 lead behind a strong performance from junior Julia Topor. The Demon Deacons battled back on the shoulders of Matalee Reed to even the match at two games apiece, forcing a decisive fifth set.

The Eagles showed off their impressive attack early, scoring the set’s first four points. Yet, as was the motif of the match, BC couldn’t quite bury Wake, as the Demon Deacons finished the game on an 8-3 run to prevent the Eagles from securing their fourth league win this season. Sophomore Brittany Pavich racked up another solid showing, totaling eight kills and nine blocks.

The Eagles’ road trip continues next week at Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech before they return home to conclude the season at Power Gym. Though the team is out of playoff contention, BC will look to score an upset over its last four games to end its season on a high note.

Featured Graphic By Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Staff