Fall, Volleyball

Volleyball Splits Road Trip To Louisville And Notre Dame

Clark Griswold took his family on a road trip to create lasting memories in the classic film National Lampoon’s Vacation. The members of the Boston College women’s volleyball team just completed a road trip of their own, but in addition to making memories, their goal was to start conquering the ACC.

Last weekend, the first half of the road trip left the Eagles empty handed. As October rolled around, the girls were looking to turn over a new leaf in the Atlantic Coastal Conference.

On Friday, Oct. 2, the girls arrived at Notre Dame poised to get back to winning form. It did not take long for this to happen, as the first set began and the Eagles showed no mercy. After opening up to a 5-0 start thanks to the help of two service aces by Madisen Lydon, the girls did not look back and took the set 25-12.

The second set saw the Fighting Irish take an early lead, which was difficult for the Eagles to eradicate in the infancy of the set.

In the turning point in the match, however, Katty Workman and Sol Calvete produced back-to-back kills and put the Eagles up 10-8. This lead was never relinquished and the girls took the set 25-19.

Set three saw very little serious threat from Notre Dame in the third set, maintaining a solid lead throughout thanks to fine performances and crucial kills from McKenna Goss and Katty Workman. Boston College took the set 25-17, and won the game 3-0 for their first conference win of the season.

With a win under the belt at South Bend, the Eagles took to Louisville in search of their second consecutive victory.

Looking to make the second half of the ACC road trip a success, the girls were focused as they entered the game Sunday afternoon.

Unfortunately for the Eagles, the Cardinals were a relentless force not to be trifled with. The first two sets saw dominant performances by the home team, resulting in a 25-12 victory for the Cardinals in both sets.

Set three was the highlight of the game, with Workman and Goss posting two kills apiece. This effort was once again too little, however, as the Eagles fell short, 25-17.

The road trip did not pan out the way the Eagles were hoping, but a solid away victory at rival Notre Dame is enough to encourage the team for the road ahead.

Featured Graphic by Jordan Pentaleri / Heights Senior Staff