Winter, Spring

Roundup: Men’s Tennis Sweeps UConn, Softball Wins Three Games Over Weekend

Softball

Softball traveled to Auburn, Ala., to compete in the Tiger Invitational this weekend, where BC went 3-2. The Eagles recorded wins against Western Illinois University, St. John’s University, and Indiana State University. Their two losses came against No. 3 Auburn University.

The Eagles finished the weekend with a 5-3 victory against Western Illinois on Sunday. The Leathernecks struck first when a second-inning bases-loaded groundout allowed Payton Abbott to advance home for the run. In the bottom of the third, Carly Severini scored to tie the game up. In the fourth, Tatiana Cortez hit a three-run homer, giving the Eagles a 4-1 lead. Western Illinois responded with two runs in the top of the fifth. A BC error allowed Ally Compton to advance home for the first run of the inning. Later, Kelsey Marlow’s RBI single plated Holly Hoelting to bring the score to 4-3. The Eagles added one more insurance run in the bottom of the fifth to finish the game with a 5-3 advantage.    

BC held on to a 5-4 lead to narrowly defeat St. John’s on Saturday. Allyson Frei struggled early, allowing four hits and two runs in the first inning before being replaced with Jessica Dreswick. Dreswick pitched for more than six innings, allowing five hits and two runs in that span. Meanwhile, the Eagles came back offensively to reclaim the lead after surrendering the early runs. Jessie Daulton started the scoring off when her double sent Jordan Chimento home in the fourth inning. An error from Red Storm shortstop Monique Landini allowed Severini to reach base and Daulton to score, tying the game at two apiece in the fourth inning. In the bottom of the fourth, Dreswick ran into trouble as she walked a run in, allowing St. John’s to reclaim the lead. The Eagles recovered in the fifth to take the lead for the first time in the game. Loren DiEmmanuele stole third and then advanced home on an error to tie the score at three apiece. Chloe Sharabba’s RBI single sent Megan Cooley home to give BC a 4-3 lead. Sharabba then scored on Chimento’s triple, adding an insurance run for the Eagles as they led 5-3. The Red Storm would score one more time, but it wasn’t enough. Dreswick was credited with the win as the Eagles held on for a 5-4 victory.

On Friday night, tournament host Auburn handed BC a 6-0 defeat. The Tigers jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first inning. Madi Gipson’s RBI double plated Tiffany Howard for the first run of the game. A Jade Rhodes single sent Gipson and Emily Carosone home for an additional two runs in the first inning. Auburn added another run in the second inning to bolster its lead to 4-0. In the sixth inning, Kasey Cooper’s two-run homer finished the scoring. The Tigers’ pitching staff stifled the Eagles offensively, allowing only two hits in the game.

Earlier on Friday, BC shut Indiana State out for a 4-0 win. Annie Murphy’s single sent Stephanie Lord home for a first-inning 1-0 lead. There was little offensive output over the next three innings. Severini broke the deadlock in the bottom of the fourth with a two-run shot to left field. The scoring finished in the fifth inning when Cooley scored on a Jessie Daulton double. Frei pitched a complete game, allowing six hits and no runs.

On Thursday night, the Eagles opened up the tournament with a 5-1 loss to Auburn. Frei, Dreswick and Jordan Weed each contributed during the game. Frei and Dreswick combined to allow eight hits and five runs, while Weed finished strong allowing no hits. Cortez was BC’s lone offensive bright spot on the day. In the fourth inning she homered to center field, bringing the score to 4-1. The Tigers came back for one more run in the fourth when Carosone doubled, driving Howard home for the 5-1 advantage.        

Women’s Tennis

Women’s tennis suffered two losses over the weekend after falling to the University of Notre Dame and Virginia Tech.

The match with Notre Dame came down to the wire. The doubles teams of Lexi Borr and Jackie Urbinati as well as Katya Vasilyev and Emily Safron took their matches to claim the doubles point for the Eagles. Borr and Safron also won their singles matches. The final singles match determined the winner. Notre Dame’s Brooke Boda defeated Wan-Yi Sweeting 6-1, 6-2 for the winning point, giving the Fighting Irish the 4-3 overall victory.

Virginia Tech, on the other hand, swept the Eagles for a perfect 7-0 victory. Borr and Urbinati recorded the only BC win on the day when they defeated their Hokie counterparts on the first doubles court. Borr, Vasilyev, Safron, Urbinati, Sweeting, and Heidi Salonen each dropped their singles matches, allowing Virginia Tech to claim the sweep.

Men’s Tennis

Men’s tennis enjoyed a 7-0 sweep of the University of Connecticut on Saturday. The Huskies took only one match on the day when Zac McEntee and Arnaud Valentin defeated Aidan McNulty and Alexandre Thirouin. BC’s other doubles pairs of Kyle Childree and Hank Workman as well as Kent Mukai and Jeffrey Melvin won their matches, giving the Eagles the doubles point. Workman, McNulty, Melvin, Mukai, Thirouin, and Will Turner each won their singles matches to complete the sweep.

Fencing

Fencing traveled to Notre Dame, Ind., this weekend to compete in the ACC Fencing Championships. Peter Wetzel finished fourth out of 16 in the men’s epee contest, trailing Notre Dame’s Dylan French, Duke’s Dakota Nollner, and UNC’s Matthew Shlimak. The women’s team finished fourth out of four, going 0-3 against host Notre Dame, Duke, and UNC.

Track

Men’s and women’s track competed in the ACC Championships over the weekend. The men finished 15th, with some athletes qualifying for the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) championships. Sophomore Gabriel McLarnan’s PR in the 800 meter event earned him a berth at the IC4A Championship. Fellow sophomore Evan Gray also qualified for the same event.

The women earned 13 points to finish 13th in the field. Liv Westphal came in third in the 3,000 meter contest, finishing after Notre Dame’s Molly Seidel and Anna Rohrer. Paige Duca’s 4:56.98 mile time gave her a 20th-place finish in the preliminaries and earned her a spot at the Eastern College Athletic Conference championships.

Skiing

Skiing competed at the NCAA East Regional Tournament this weekend. The team tallied 188 points to finish 12th out of 16 teams in the competition. The men earned 75 points after finishing fifth in the giant slalom. The women’s eighth-place finish in the same category earned them 43 points.

Featured Image by Kelsey McGee / Heights Editor