Arts, Column

Making Fashion Resolutions You Can Keep For The New Year

January means resolutions for many people: hit the gym, cut out sweets, start making your bed, or think positively. Resolutions can be tough to stick to, but they don’t have to be. This year, why not make a resolution that you actually want to keep? It’s time to update your wardrobe for the days ahead. Here are my fashion resolutions for the new year. There are many simple ways to update your look with just a little bit of creativity.

First of all, it’s important to clean house before filling up your wardrobe with this year’s newest trends. There are always those pieces that never leave your drawers or closet. Why do we hold onto these dated, ill-fitting, or just plain ugly items? Treat your closet with respect-if it isn’t inspiring or aiding your wardrobe in an important way, it’s time to toss it. This process can take a while, but it can be a good motivator to know that every piece you get rid of leaves space for something new. Jeans can be a big space waster, and really, how many pairs do you need? Try them all on, and if you don’t feel comfortable in them, you aren’t going to wear them. Let them go. But you don’t simply have to throw them out-try consigning your old clothes for some extra cash, or donate them. Most areas have clothing banks, Goodwill stores, or church drives that will collect clothes that are clean and in good shape.

Now that you know all the contents of your closet, and that they all are in good shape and fit nicely, it’s time to get creative. Do you always wear that black sweater with that maroon skirt? Time to find a new way to wear it. Rethinking the items in your wardrobe is almost as good as getting new clothes. Combine your pieces in new ways and rethink the possibilities. At this point, it’s also a good idea to check out your basics. You need good starting blocks to build a beautiful wardrobe. A great pair of dark jeans, a classic white t-shirt and black t-shirt, an exceptional pair of leather boots, an appropriate pencil skirt and blouse, a fabulous party dress, and a perfect pair of black pumps are simply a must. Though these are maybe not the most fun or flashy purchases, it is important to keep your basics looking good. You will wear them a lot, so they will need to be replaced every few months.

Now that we have taken care of the tough parts of our resolution, the fun can begin. Be smart with your shopping this year: plan your seasonal splurge. Are you going to buy something wonderful each season, or twice yearly, perhaps? Plan, search, and think hard about what trendy items you can’t stand not to have. Trends are tough, because they just come and go so quickly, but they are also fun. Don’t let yourself get left in the dust! Treat yourself to a nice splurge each season, big or small.
You don’t have to shop just once a season. It is winter sale time! I am behind any sort of resolution that lets me shop. Grab up some of those great winter sale items, if you can stand to look at winter clothes any longer. Great new boots, cozy sweaters, and outerwear are mostly on sale at this time. Although you may be tired of dressing for winter already, you can pack these new pieces away and save them for next year. After a long, hot summer, it will be a pleasant treat to open up your packed away winter treats and add those pieces to your wardrobe.
The icing on the cake is the accessories. Even if you can’t afford to add lots of fabulous new pieces to your wardrobe, updating your accessories is a great way to give your outfits a boost. Add some new light spring and summer scarves to a simple outfit of white jeans and a white t-shirt, pile on tons of bangles, both cheap and expensive, for a luxe look, or find a great new beaded headband to take a simple outfit and make it special.
If you set up your wardrobe right, every day can feel special. You will feel more organized, you will know all the pieces you have and won’t overlook the possibilities that are lying dormant in your now cluttered and crazy closet. Revamping your wardrobe does not have to be an expensive project. All it will take is a little bit of creativity and time and an eye for what works for you, so let’s make this the most fashionable year yet.