Sports

ROUNDUP: Kelley, DiStefano Make A Big Splash For The BC Swim Team

For the men’s swimming and diving team, Dan Kelly won the men’s 50-yard freestyle at the UConn Open. In the backstroke, Brett Bonzell won the 200, while Richard McDonnell won the 100. On the women’s side, Abigail Kordell won the 200-yard breaststroke, while Kelly DiStefano won the 100-yard breaststroke, coming just ahead of teammate Caitlin Marks.

Over the weekend, the men’s track team competed at the BU Valentine Invitational. The 4x400m relay team led the way for the men, finishing fifth with a time of 3:16.73, which stands as the second best mark in program history. That time is also good for an IC4A qualifier. Connor O’Neill ran the anchor leg in 48.6 seconds.

Tim Ferris and Ryan Cooney set personal records and ran IC4A qualifiers in the 800m. Ferris clocked in at 1:53.38, and Cooney at 1:54.39. Two Eagles also grabbed personal best times in the 400m. Darren James ran his fastest time of the season for BC in 49.27, and O’Neill also set a personal record of 49.41.

The women’s team competed at both BU and the New Balance Collegiate meet at the Armory in New York City. Molly O’Dea, Carly Daniel, Christina Zelenoy and Robin Gross’ 4x400m relay team ran an ECAC qualifying time of 3:51.55, which was the fastest BC time in two years. O’Dea also set an indoor personal record of 25.16 in the 200m. In the 5000m at BU, Alanna Poretta qualified for the ACC meet with a time of 17:26. Cross country All-American Liv Westphal finished seventh overall in the 3000m in 9:16.72 on Friday at BU.

The men’s and women’s fencing teams both enjoyed a successful meet at UNH this weekend. Both teams swept UNH, UMass, and BU while dropping matches to Sacred Heart. The men also swept Tufts and the women did the same to Wellesley College.

Senior Devin Midgley of the men’s saber squad, had an outstanding meet, finishing with an 11-3 record. Men’s foil member sophomore Hanmin Lee also compiled a strong record by going 9-1 for the meet. On the women’s side, sophomores Olivia Adragna (epee) and Marney Krupat (sabre) shined by racking up 17 combined wins and only one loss for the meet. Both teams will be back in action Wednesday for the Fencing Beanpot at MIT.

The men’s tennis team was defeated 6-1 by Princeton on Sunday. Sophomore Alexandre Thirouin was the only Eagle to pick up a victory in his singles match.