Sports, Spring

ROUNDUP: Spring Sports in Full Swing

Tennis

The struggling Boston College men’s tennis team (4-8, 0-4 ACC) lost to Georgia Tech (7-6, 1-2 ACC) and No. 20 Clemson (16-3, 3-1 ACC) last week by scores of 6-1 and 7-0, respectively. The Eagles’ lone point against Georgia Tech came by way of a forfeit on court six of Georgia Tech’s Colin Edwards, which allowed Kyle Childree to come away with the win. Women’s tennis suffered a 6-1 defeat to Clemson. While Jessica Wacnik and Lexi Borr were able to knock off Clemson’s No. 26 pair, 8-4, and Heini Salonen and Jennifer Ren earned the team a point winning 8-5, it was not enough for the Eagles. The Tigers were dominant in singles play, sweeping all six matches.

Track

The BC men’s track and field team competed in the Raleigh Relays this past weekend. Junior Richard Lucas earned second place in his flight in the 10,000-meter race. Junior James Newhouse finished 10th in the same race with a time of 31:46.31. Both Lucas and Newhouse, along with freshman Kevin Sullivan, ran fast enough to earn automatic qualifying times for the New England Championships. The women’s team also competed in the Raleigh Relays this weekend and saw the 4x1500m relay team take first place. Additionally, freshman Fallyn Boich established a new BC record in the javelin at 40.09 meters in what was only her third collegiate attempt.

Rowing

The BC women’s rowing team started its season off on the right foot by sweeping the Jesuit Invitational, hosted by St. Joseph’s University, for the third year in a row. The Eagles’ varsity eight came in first place after finishing with an impressive time of 6:43:29 in the last race of the day, allowing the Eagles to take home the coveted Robert M. Gillin, Jr. Trophy. Furthermore, the Eagles also prevailed in the second varsity eight with a time of 6.44.04. BC’s A and B boats in the varsity four event took home first and second place, finishing with times of 7:48.5 and 7:56.4, respectively, on the 2000-meter course.

Softball

The softball team played a three-game series against Virginia Tech this weekend. In Blacksburg, the Eagles were supposed to play a Saturday double header but were forced to push back the first pitch due to a rain delay. When the first game finally did start, the Eagles were overcome in the sixth inning when the Hokies scored to bring the final score to 4-3. Nicole D’Argento suffered a loss on the mound after giving up nine hits and registering three strikeouts in six innings. The Eagles started a second game, but it was postponed due to rain until Sunday afternoon. The Hokies finished BC off in that one, topping the Eagles 5-4. To close the series, Virginia Tech won the last game 4-3.

Sailing

BC’s sailing team most recently hosted the Team Race Invitational on Dorchester Bay, placing second behind Roger Williams. Prior to this, the Eagles had finished third at the Jan T. Friis Trophy Intersectional Regatta that was hosted by Harvard. As a result of these consistently strong showings, the women’s team may have a legitimate shot at the national championship, something that it hasn’t done since 2012. Conference championships, the qualifiers for nationals, begin April 18, leaving the Eagles with less than three weeks to prepare. Up next for the Eagles is the Admiral Alymers Invitational, held on April 5.