Pagoda Project Exhibits Impressive Research Efforts

Yesterday on the third floor of O’Neill Library, two classes’ hard work finally came to fruition. After nearly two semesters of virtually searching the globe, a history class taught by Rev. Jeremy Clarke, S.J. and an art class taught by Sheila Gallagher have brought three formerly lost pagodas, of Shanghai origin, to Boston College.

The classes’ work should serve as an example for other professor-student projects at BC because of its real-world applications. It is commendable that the students were pushed to collaborate with students from another course in order to think outside the classroom and produce lasting results. All of the students involved gained valuable experience in international communication and research skills.

In addition, both classes were required to work with unfamiliar research technologies, forcing the students to step outside of the norms of a college class. All professors at BC, no matter what department, should be encouraged to assign comparable projects so that more students can be exposed to these types of experiences.

Furthermore, the exhibit will benefit hundreds of other students on campus. Professors should encourage classes to visit the exhibit, as it provides an insight into a culture that may often be overlooked at BC. The pagodas serve as a much-needed cultural connection between BC and China, and they have already garnered both local and international attention for the University. The exhibit demonstrates BC’s intent to be a global university, proving its importance on an international scale.