Sports, Spring

ROUNDUP: Eagles Have Busy Weekend

Women’s Tennis:

The Eagles dropped another ACC matchup on Sunday morning, losing to Virginia Tech 6-1. Head coach Nigel Bentley’s team got off to a shaky start as Jennifer Ren and Heini Salonen lost 8-4 in their doubles match, before Katya Vasilyev and Wan-Yi Sweeting lost their match 8-5.

Vasilyev recovered by defeating Hokie Kelly Williford 6-1, 6-3, but she was the only Eagle to tally a victory on the day. The loss to Virginia Tech followed a devastating 6-1 loss to Duke.

The Blue Devils swept doubles play, before Sweeting earned Boston College its only victory of the day, winning her match in a 10-3 tiebreak.

Track:

This weekend, the Boston College women’s track team headed west to Amherst, Mass. for the UMass invitational. The Eagles had wins in three different events as well as three top-16 performances, a strong enough effort to take first place in a field of 11 teams, all from the New England area.

Freshman Fallyn Boich set a personal best javelin throw of 42.37 meters, gaining her a second place finish, and she also came in fourth in discus. Madeleine Davidson won the 1500-meter race with a time of 4:32.01, the ninth best time in BC history, and Morgan Mueller took first in the steeple chase. Elizabeth O’Brien had the third win for the Eagles in the 5000-meter race.

Rowing:

The Boston College women’s crew team was in action this weekend at the Knecht Cup, located in West Windsor Township, N.J. on Mercer Lake. The Eagles raced two varsity eights, two varsity fours, a novice eight, and a third varsity eight.
The second varsity four advanced to the grand final on Sunday and came in first in that race, gaining the overall win with a time of 7:46.01. The second varsity eight also won its grand final. The varsity four advanced to the grand final as well, coming in third. The novice eight finished one spot behind that, taking fourth in its race, and the third varsity eight came in second in its final. The varsity eight took fourth in its race.
Sailing:
At the Savin Hill Invitational, Boston College dominated its competition, scoring just 54 points. The Eagles topped Salve Regina during the in-conference regatta. At the Owen, Mosbacher, and Knapp Trophies two-conference regatta, the Eagles narrowly lost out to Brown for second place, as Yale pulled away to win the event. Stanford topped the Eagles and 18 other competitors at the Thompson Trophy regatta on the Thames River in Connecticut.
BC placed eighth at the intersectional race, finishing just behind Fordham and ahead of Rhode Island, scoring 280 points. The Cardinal beat their competition by 57 points.