Sports, Fall

Field Hockey’s New York Road Trip Yields Two Wins

The Boston College field hockey team was showing off its shiny teeth this Sunday as it brushed past the Colgate University Raiders. The team kept its momentum going from Saturday’s OT triumph in order to prevail 6-3 and capture its seventh win of the season.

The Eagles flew out of the gates early against Colgate and went up 1-0 when senior Emma Plasteras netted a goal. Five minutes later, the lead was increased when sophomore Eryn McCoy scored her first goal of the season.

Colgate fought back when Eliana Brown scored off an assist by Whitney Jones, 11 minutes into the game. One and a half minutes later, the game was tied when Giuliana Kafaf set up Emily Brash’s goal. Even after a demanding game the day before, the Eagles were still able to take the lead when senior Katlyn Soucy scored. The Raiders answered with less than two minutes remaining before halftime, leaving both teams tied 3-3 going into the second half.

After a series of fouls to open up the second half, BC received a penalty corner. Emma Plasteras shot on goal but Colgate’s keeper, Amanda DiDomizio, saved it. Sophomore Leah Frome was able to capitalize off this opportunity and rebounded a deflection, giving the team a 4-3 lead.

After 15 minutes of play in the second half, the Raiders’ Eliana Brown received a green card penalty, resulting in a two-minute suspension. The Eagles used the one-man advantage to increase their lead by two when Plasteras scored off the pass from the team’s eighth penalty corner opportunity. One minute later, BC took the ball down field and AshLeigh Sebia crossed it in front of the goal. Freshman Brooke Matherson was able to redirect Sebia’s shot into the net, giving BC a 6-3 lead.

The rest of the half proved to be less significant as possession altered between each team. BC was able to close the game with a score of 6-3.

On Saturday, the No. 11 Eagles got their first win of the weekend against No. 4 Syracuse in overtime. The Orange came out strong and led 1-0 after a goal by Emma Russell in the first three minutes of the game. The Eagles answered two minutes later when sophomore Emily McCoy scored a goal off a penalty corner with the assistance of Plasteras and Soucy.

For the rest of the half the teams went back and forth fighting off shots and penalty corners without a breakthrough. The first half left the teams tied 1-1.

An early penalty corner in the first half gave BC an opportunity to get ahead. With the help of Romee Stiekema, Plasteras was able to net her first goal of the season and give the Eagles the lead. However, with less than 12 minutes to go, Syracuse came back to tie off a penalty corner goal by Annalena Ulbrich.

It seemed like the Eagles might have a shot to capture the win when they had a penalty corner with three minutes left in the game.

Their attempt was unsuccessful and left both teams tied 2-2 at the end of regulation.

For the third time in their last three games BC went into overtime. The Eagles challenged the Orange and came out strong on the offensive end. Plasteras’s shot was blocked three minutes into OT.
BC used this momentum to force a penalty corner.

After the ball was inserted, Soucy passed the ball to Stiekema who recorded her first career goal as the Eagles went on to upset Syracuse on their home turf.

Featured Image by Graham Beck / Heights Senior Staff