Visiting Parents Kept Busy With Gala Concert, Gameday Activities Over The Weekend

Friday through Sunday marked Boston College’s longstanding tradition of hosting Parents’ Weekend, allowing families to gather together and celebrate all that characterizes the BC student experience. Parents’ Weekend offered multiple events that welcomed parents to attain a better understanding of their children’s education.

There were a number of events and activities offered Friday to engage visiting parents. Throughout the entirety of Friday, parents were invited to walk through a day in the life of their child’s academic experience by attending their classes. There was also a welcome center operating in Robsham Theater, offering refreshments, informational guides, and the opportunity to socialize with other BC families.

From 9:30 to 11 a.m. was the Dean’s Open House, which shared the latest undergraduate news and explicated each school’s distinctive mission, including the College of Arts & Sciences, hosted by Interim Dean Greg Kalscheur; the Carroll School of Management, hosted by Dean Andrew Boynton; the Connell School of Nursing, hosted by Dean Susan Gennaro; and the Lynch School of education, hosted by Dean Maureen Kenny.

The range of events aimed to combine relaxed activities with presentations and speeches from faculty and administrators—one of those events was a “Discussion on Teaching and Student Life,” held in Robsham Theater on Friday afternoon.

Michael Sacco, director of the Center for Student Formation, shared his perspective on what students should strive for during their college years. Early in the presentation he referenced a work by David Brooke titled The Organizational Kid.

The “organizational kid” is the exemplary student, the team captain, the valedictorian who develops a habit of seeking a misguided formula for success.
While the organizational kid may be hardworking, he or she focuses only on what he or she ought to do, rather than wants to do. Sacco assured parents that BC does not want its students to simply repeat their high school experience.

The student programs, as four panelists attested, encouraged students to explore their interests, to try new things, to forget their preconceptions of what they ought to do, to engage their peers and discover not only their talents, but their purpose and what role they can play both on a local and global scale.

Programs such as Halftime, Ascend, and Freshmen League all offer guidance for students intellectual, social, and spiritual pursuits. The four student panelists all shared their experiences at BC and recounted to parents how beneficial the programs they participated in were to them.

In addition, BC hosted a discussion of the impact of a Division I athletics program on students’ experiences. This presentation was led by athletic director Brad Bates, followed by a panel of student athletes who talked to parents about what it means to support BC’s Division I sports teams.

The night concluded with the annual Pops on the Heights performance by the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra, conducted by Keith Lockhart. The event supported the Barbara and Jim Cleary Scholarship Gala and also featured Caroline Portu, A&S ’16, the University Chorale of Boston College, and the Boston College Screaming Eagles Marching Band, who performed with the Pops.

Parents’ Weekend on Saturday was largely defined by the football game between BC and the Colorado State Rams. After pregame barbecues across Lower Campus, parents and fans gathered in Alumni Stadium to watch the Eagles’ last home game until mid-October. Despite a frustrating, scoreless first quarter, the Eagles managed to pull ahead, leaving the score at 14-7 in favor of BC at the half.

In honor of Parents’ Weekend, the halftime show featured a touchdown celebration dance competition between parents, awarding the winner a $100 gift card to the BC bookstore.

The second half proved to be more eventful, culminating in a standoff in which Colorado State managed to score a 4th and 10 touchdown within the last minute of the final quarter, leaving the Rams ahead 24-21 at the final whistle.

Sunday marked the final events of Parents’ Weekend. In Conte Forum, students, parents, and members of the BC community were all invited to a special Family Liturgy, which welcomed members of all faiths. Following the Family Liturgy, Parents’ Weekend concluded with a Continental Breakfast, which allowed BC families to mingle one final time and share memories from the weekend.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Editor