Metro, Food

Italian Isn’t Just For The North End, Salvatore’s Shows

When considering going to a high-quality Italian restaurant in the greater Boston area, one would likely head straight to the North End. Fine Italian dining is offered right at the seaport and in the theatre district, however.  Salvatore’s Restaurants are the ideal places for those who are looking for high quality Italian food without actually going to the North End. Salvatore’s was created by Sal Lupoli, known for the popular Sal’s Pizza chain throughout the greater Boston area, and is a full service Italian restaurant. It has locations in Andover, Medford, and Lawrence, as well as the two Boston locations in the theatre district and by the seaport. Each location has a full dining room, full bar, and the Lawrence location has a full event and conference center.

Whether you’re looking to have a quick flatbread before seeing a show, or sit down for a glass of wine and the risotto after the day, Salvatore’s is worth a try. They offer salads, flatbreads, seafood, pastas, and much more.

“Our most popular items would definitely be the margherita and bruschetta flatbreads,” said Peter Ackerman, vice president of Lupoli Companies, the parent company for Salvatore’s Restaurants. In addition, he said, the shrimp and scallop fra diaovlo is a customer favorite. Almost all of the pasta in Salvatore’s dishes is made freshly at each store. For those who are gluten-free, Salvatore’s has one of the most extensive gluten-free menus in Boston. Not only do they offer gluten-free pizza and pasta, some of their signature dishes like the chicken parmesan and fried calamari are also cooked with gluten-free breadcrumbs. For dessert, he said, college students love to order the Nutella pizza topped with vanilla ice cream.

Salvatore’s offers a college-friendly atmosphere. In fact, its theatre district location places it below Emerson College. During evenings and later at night, students often come in and relax and watch some of the TVs as they share a pizza. Salvatore’s offers specials for college events like move-in day and parents’ weekend. “We like to offer these specials because we know college students are on a budget,” Ackerman said. Salvatore’s restaurant in the theatre district is just a five-minute walk from the Park Street T-station off the Green Line.

For many years, Salvatore’s has been hosting tailgates at its food tent right outside Gillette Stadium. Salvatore’s will have its largest tailgate yet for the Patriot’s away game during the second week of October and, this year, Salvatore’s will host a tailgate sponsored by Harpoon brewery at is Seaport location. It will take place on Columbus Day weekend and will be both an indoor and outdoor party. In honor of the Patriots playing against the Buffalo Bills, all types of buffalo-themed foods will be offered—buffalo wings, buffalo sandwiches, buffalo chicken pizza, buffalo calzones, and much more. Other classic tailgate foods like hamburgers, hot dogs, and Italian sausages will also be served. Since it is an away game for the Patriots, the party will offer a Hummer with TV monitors as well as a barbeque in the back of it. The “Tailgate 2014” will take place on Sunday, Oct. 12 from noon to 5 p.m.

Salvatore’s is looking to expand and grow from more than its five locations. They are looking at opening locations in New Hampshire and other locations father outside of Boston, hoping to maintain its tradition of offering fine Italian dining with the quality and ambiance of North End restaurants.

Featured Image Courtesy of Salvatore’s