Sports, Fall

Women’s Soccer’s Conference Struggles Intensify

This past Thursday, the Boston College women’s soccer team trekked to Charlottesville, Va. only to fall 6-3 against the No. 4 UVA Cavaliers. With the loss, BC is 8-6 overall, and 1-4 in the ACC.

BC’s offense was led by sophomore Hayley Dowd, who scored two goals for the Eagles and had three of the six shots in the game. This is her third two-goal game this season, and Dowd’s scored a team-high 10 goals.

Despite strong individual performances, the Eagles could not keep up with the Cavaliers. UVA had the first shot on goal four minutes into the game, which went high, and then another off of a free kick during the eighth minute that keeper Darien Dunham was able to punch out of the box. A minute later, BC countered with a cross from Rosie DiMartino intended for an offside Stephanie McCaffrey.

Ten minutes into the game UVA’s Alexis Shaffer put the first point up on the board, scoring to take a 1-0 lead over BC. Dowd quickly responded with a shot on goal, which was saved. Yet, just three minutes later, Dowd got another chance, this time landing a header into the net off of a cross from Madison Kenny.

The Cavaliers rallied quickly after the tying goal, however, and went up 2-1 in the 16th minute with a goal from Emily Sonnett. From there, the UVA women kept up their momentum with McKenzy Doniak scoring two more times off of another header in the 27th minute and a breakaway in the 29th minute.

Right before the half, Dowd was again able to find the net after she nailed a penalty kick in the 40th minute, decreasing the deficit to two goals. At the half, UVA held the lead at 4-2.

The BC women came back strong in the beginning of the second half, with keeper Alexandra Johnson seeing the goal box for the first time since an injury against USF in mid-September. Junior Jana Jeffrey scored from just outside the 18-yard box to make it 4-3 in the 48th minute, securing her third goal of the year.

The Eagles’ efforts couldn’t slow the Cavaliers, though, who were able to run away with the game after two more goals were scored—one from Doniak in the 63rd minute and another from Ruether in the 65th. The remainder of the game left BC unable to make up the three-goal deficit.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Editor