Top Story, Arts, Music, On Campus

Pregaming For Louisville With BC Indie-Rockers Seaver’s Express

The neon white lights of Alumni Stadium illuminated the stage as students began to wander into the Superfan Zone for live music, giveaways, and perhaps a game of cornhole.

At 6 p.m. on Saturday, Boston College indie band Seaver’s Express took to the temporary stage, set up just within the student gate for Alumni Stadium, and for more than an hour, offered an alternative pregame for those in the Superfan Zone.

Decked out in BC apparel, Seaver’s Express included bassist Conor Gallagher, CSOM ’16, guitarist Sean Seaver, A&S ’16, as well as drummer Chris Southiere and vocalist Zoe Ainsburg, from the Berklee College of Music. Sean’s brother, Brian Seaver, who usually acts as lead vocalist for the band, was not at the show.

Seaver’s Express arrived on the BC’s independent music scene last fall, and has dramatically evolved its sound and image since its 2013 Parachute EP. This performance was the band’s first official show featuring Gallagher, and served as a premiere of the reshaped Seaver’s Express.

The highlight of Saturday’s performance was a revamp of Daft Punk’s 2013 hit “Get Lucky.” Seaver’s Express took the original song and gave it a refreshing rock ’n’ roll vibe—the group started out by slowing the tempo, and then it quickly picked up as the drummer rapidly slammed on the drums. “It’s kind of a boring song if you don’t change it up,” lead guitarist Sean Seaver said.

For several songs, the group stuck to the original melody. Some hot takes from the show included the upbeat tune “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse and the lullaby-like “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac. While it can be difficult to perform songs just as the original artists did, Ainsburg did a fantastic job of adding new color to old songs, stringing silky vocals over a strong instrumental backing for the classics covered that night.

Although much of the band comes from Berklee, Seaver’s Express has made BC its home, growing a significant fanbase at the school and frequently playing at University events. Saturday’s show was exceptionally casual, with Gallagher announcing the winners of an ongoing raffle sponsored by the Superfan Zone every few songs. It did, however, give insights on the direction group is taking.

Despite recent changes in the band—a new bassist this fall, and a new lead singer in the spring—Seaver’s Express delivered a solid performance, making it seem as though they had been playing together for years. Ainsburg’s smooth-as-honey voice and the loud guitar and violent drums provided a pleasing contrast that worked wonders for the indie-rock band.

Featured Image by Emily Fahey / Heights Editor