Sports, Fall

Volleyball Splits Conference Road Trip

The Boston College volleyball team traveled to Atlanta, Ga. and then to Syracuse, N.Y. this weekend, coming away with one win from its two ACC games. The trip along the East Coast began with a 3-2 set loss to Georgia Tech on Friday, and ended with a 3-1 set win versus Syracuse on Sunday afternoon.

Against Georgia Tech, the Eagles found themselves leading the Yellow Jackets two sets to one, but could not manage to see out the game. Numerous mistakes and strong momentum from Georgia Tech meant that BC lost the last two sets 25-15 and then 15-12.

This came after an initially strong start, where BC won the first set 25-22, lost the second set 25-17, but won the third 25-20.

The Yellow Jackets put forth a team effort, with four players recording 10 or more kills, and a combined eight team blocks against the hands of BC hitters.

BC outside hitter Katty Workman racked up an impressive 17 kills and 17 digs over the course of the game and was a huge contributor to the two sets that the Eagles did win. Middle hitter Kam McLain had another 11 kills and a high hitting percentage of .320. Argentinean international Sol Calvete had the same amount of kills as McLain, but acquired her double-double with 14 digs on top of everything else. Setter Kellie Barnum had 15 digs and 46 assists, as she also claimed a double-double.

These four players, with the addition of libero Courtney Castle, who is a mainstay with digs in the backcourt, continued to shine against Syracuse. It was Workman, though, who pulled a season-high number of kills with 23. She included a .315 hitting percentage and 15 digs with those 23 kills on the afternoon.

Barnum, who recorded 46 assists against Georgia Tech, had some pressure lifted from her shoulders by junior Mallori Moffat. Moffat took half of the setting duties, and ran the offense with 17 assists to Barnum’s 25.

BC only lost the second set of this game, 25-23, but won the other three. The Eagles even won the fourth and final set by a large margin at 25-15. Despite this hefty final score line, the first set and third set were tight affairs. In the first set, a quick momentum shift at point 17 helped the Eagles to put a good amount of distance between themselves and the Orange in order to claim the set 25-21.

The Eagles and Orange fought closely for their 25 points in the third set as well, as the Orange cut the BC lead to one at 19-18. A few crucial points led the Eagles to a 25-22 win in the third set, though.

The Eagles have one more away trip to Florida this upcoming weekend before coming home for their last two regular season games in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

The Eagles continue their most successful season under head coach Chris Campbell, notching six ACC wins.

Featured Image by Arthur Bailin / Heights Staff