Cost Of Attendance Nears $63,000 With Latest Tuition Hike

The cost of tuition for Boston College in the 2015-16 school year will be $48,540, which is a 3.6 percent increase from the 2014-15 total of $46,670. The cost to attend the University, including tuition, fees, and room and board will respectively be $62,820, as set by the Board of Trustees.

The University has also increased financial aid by 5.9 percent, to a total of $109.6 million. According to Provost and Dean of Faculties David Quigley, in doing so, the University has retained its commitment to need-blind admissions while meeting all demonstrated student need. Last year, for the 2014-15 school year, the University increased its financial aid by 6.7 percent, to $103.5 million.

The increase in tuition is consistent with colleges and universities across the country—for the 2014-15 school year, tuition at private, four-year institutions increased by 3.7 percent, according to the College Board. For the 2014-15 school year, BC also increased its tuition by 3.6 percent, to $46,670. Tuition also rose by 3.6 percent for the 2013-2014 school year.

The Board of Trustees also set the 2015-16 operating budget at $956 million, which is an increase from the $916 million allocated last year. The increase is to said to be for the support academics as well as infrastructure changes outlined in the 2006 Strategic Plan.

In an attempt to keep tuition costs down, the University implemented two programs as part of the 2006 Strategic Plan: the Operational Efficiency Project (OEP) and the Administrative Program Review (APR). Both of these programs were enacted to cut costs and increase the efficiency of University activities.

“A Boston College, education remains a wise investment, and we continue to make strategic investments in our core academic programs,” Quigley said. “We are blessed by the continuing recognition that the undergraduate experience here at Boston College is particularly rewarding.”

BC is currently ranked as the 37th school in the U.S. News and World Report for Best Value School. The average cost to attend the University after need-based grants is $28,248, according to the U.S. News and World Report. University spokesperson Jack Dunn said that every effort has been made to limit tuition costs.

“We offer students an excellent education at Boston College, and excellence inevitably comes at a cost, especially at a university that is committed to attracting and retaining the nation’s best faculty, maintaining the finest facilities and offering the widest possible range of programs in support of student formation and intellectual development,” Dunn said. “We’re keenly aware of the sacrifices the parents make.”

Featured Image by Alex Gaynor / Heights Senior Staff