News, On Campus, Administration

Financial Vice President Plans To Retire In December

PETER MCKENZIE, FINANCIAL VPAfter 25 years as the Financial Vice President and Treasurer of Boston College, Peter McKenzie, BC ’75, announced on June 15 that he will retire in December, at the end of this calendar year. In his position, he oversees the University offices of controller, budget, procurement, treasury & risk management, financial management systems, internal audit, auxiliary services, dining services, bookstore, event management, transportation & parking, and the BCPD.

“25 years is enough,” he said in an email.

Prior to coming to BC, McKenzie was the CFO at Tufts University. He will complete 25 years at the University in August, and plans to stay for a few more months in order to assist University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J., with the transition to McKenzie’s successor.

McKenzie says his greatest contribution was the hiring of a talented staff and then holding them to a high standard. Though the group they worked with was relatively small, Mckenzie said, they were able to accomplish a lot.

During McKenzie’s tenure, he provided valuable advice to the University and was able to skillfully manage the finances of BC, Leahy said to the Office of News & Public Affairs.

“Peter McKenzie has had an immense impact on Boston College as financial vice president and treasurer during the past 25 years,” Leahy said. “I enjoyed working with him and will miss his experience and wisdom.”

While McKenzie held this position, the total assets of the University grew from $652 million in 1990 to $4.3 billion in 2015. He also assisted with the acquisition of the Brighton Campus from the Archdiocese of Boston.

“I hope my successor will continue to set high standards for the staff, continue to hire the most talented staff possible, continue to push for growth in the University’s capital base—i.e. endowment and reserves‚ and assist Father Leahy and the other Vice Presidents and Deans to manage the University’s financial resources in an efficient manner to best serve the mission of this great institution,” McKenzie said.

Featured Image by Margaux Eckert / Heights Senior Staff

June 18, 2015