Football

The Eagles’ Flight To A Bowl

9/5 vs. Maine, Alumni Stadium

2014 Record – 5-6

What better way to kick off the season than against BC’s perennial punching bag? Steve Addazio may not admit it, but the Black Bears have no reason to strike fear into the Eagles’ hearts. A pitiful offense, inability to make explosive plays, and lack of a running defense makes Maine an easy opponent. -M.S.

9/12 vs. Howard, Alumni Stadium

2014 Record – 5-7

As far as Division 1-AA opponents go, Howard is just about as weak as it gets. The Bison could not manage to get above .500 in the mediocre MEAC. This should undoubtedly be a walk in the park for the Eagles in the first ever meeting between the two teams. -J.S.

9/18 vs. No. 10 Florida State, Alumni Stadium

2014 Record – 13-1

No team in the ACC is turning over its roster more than Florida State. Led by Jameis Winston, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, FSU lost 11 players to the Draft. The No. 10 Seminoles enter the season with a bit of uncertainty for the first time in a while. -T.D.

9/26 vs. Northern Illinois, Alumni Stadium

2014 Record – 11-3

Get ready for some MACtion. The Huskies have won three out of the last four Mid-American Conference Championships with a dangerously explosive offense. Some may write this off as a BC victory, but after the Colorado State meltdown in 2014, Addazio’s squad should beware NIU as this season’s trap game. -M.S.

10/3 @ Duke, Wallace Wade Stadium

2014 Record – 9-4

The Blue Devils have been a program on the rise since head coach David Cutcliffe took over in 2008, but the Blue Devils have failed to win in any of the past three consecutive bowl games they have reached. While the team may be coming to a plateau, the Eagles will still be faced in an arduous task when they visit Durham. -J.S.

10/10 vs. Wake Forest, Alumni Stadium

2014 Record – 3-9

Three things in life are certaindeath, taxes, and Wake Forest having a terrible football team. In 108 years of existence, the Demon Deacons have had 12 seven-win seasons. Sophomore quarterback John Wolford returns to lead the offense, but Wake will undoubtedly struggle against superior ACC competition in 2015. -T.D.

10/17 @ No. 12 Clemson, Memorial Stadium

2014 Record – 10-3

Clemson’s days of playing the bridesmaid to Florida State are over. The Tigers are ready to reclaim their place atop the ACC, led by the best offensive player in the conference: sophomore quarterback DeShaun Watson. The Tigers took BC down at Alumni Stadium. It won’t get easier in Death Valley. -M.S.

10/24 @ Louisville, Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium

2014 Record – 9-4

After suffering their most embarrassing defeat last year to Louisville, BC will be looking for revenge when they travel south. The Cardinals, however, are the third strongest team in the ACC behind Clemson and Florida State. And despite losing Teddy Bridgewater in a high turnover year, they are still stacked with talent to compete nationally. -J.S.

10/31 vs. Virginia Tech, Alumni Stadium

2014 Record – 7-6

The Hokies were the only team to defeat the eventual National Champion Ohio State, but they also lost to Wake Forest in double overtime by a score of 6-3. Two very distinct versions of this team showed up at different points last season, and it was awfully tough to predict which would come to play each Saturday. -T.D.

11/7 vs. North Carolina State, Alumni Stadium

2014 Record – 8-5

Everyone loves the Wolfpack because of their hot starts each year, but NC State pads its record with weak non-conference and FCS opponents. The only reason BC should watch out is because of Tyler Murphy’s former teammate, Jacoby Brissett. This dual-threat quarterback will give any defense fits. -M.S.

11/21 vs. No. 11 Notre Dame, Fenway Park

2014 Record – 8-5

The Holy War returns as storied rivalry turns a new chapter in the hallowed grounds of Fenway Park. Notre Dame are a preseason top 15 team and potential contender for the national championship. Despite the game being held in Boston, Notre Dame is the home team and the crowd will be largely green and gold, but the Eagles should be up for the task in such a big matchup. -J.S.

11/28 @ Syracuse, Carrier Dome

2014 Record – 3-9

Despite a hot start with wins against Villanova and Central Michigan, the Orange struggled from there on out, losing nine of their next 10. Quarterback Terrel Hunt is healthy going into the season, but if he runs into injury trouble again, Syracuse could challenge Wake Forest and Virginia for worst team in the ACC. -T.D.

Featured Image by Drew Hoo / Heights Editor