Sports, Fall

BC Draws Rhode Island In Double Overtime

Even with fog and occasional rain in Kingston, R.I., Boston College men’s soccer tied the University of Rhode Island 1-1 on Tuesday, Sept. 29. Both goals were scored in the first half of the game.

In the first few minutes of the game, the Eagles threatened with several shots. Rhode Island goalkeeper Nils Leifhelm was forced to make saves early on, but still conceded a goal in the opening 20 minutes of the half.

Seventeen minutes in, left back Mohammed Moro sent in the cross from the left flank. It was headed clear, before Zeiko Lewis collected the second ball at the top of the 18-yard box and shot. His left-footed strike to the near post found the back of the net, giving BC the advantage on his fourth goal of the season. The Rams had their first real scoring opportunity when they were awarded a penalty kick 26 minutes into the first half.

However, the opportunity was wasted, as Carlo Davids’ shot sailed wide left and kept BC in the game. The Eagles could not maintain the lead for long, however, as URI scored on a through ball in the 33rd minute. Germany native Dominik Richter scored his second goal in two games on goalkeeper Alex Kapp to even the score at one with just 12 minutes left in the first half.

The second half was competitive and scrappy, but neither team managed to break the gridlock. Throughout the game, Kapp and freshman forward Trevor Davock gave strong performances, making plays to keep BC in the game and trying to create scoring opportunities. Kapp made five saves in his second start of the season.

After 45 minutes of scoreless play, however, regulation ended in a tie. Throughout the two overtime periods, the Eagles threatened the Rams with seven shots, four from Davock. Meanwhile, strong defensive play ensured that Rhode Island didn’t get a single shot off in the overtime periods. Three saves from Leifhelm preserved the tie.

Despite the terrible weather, BC managed to hold on and tie URI 1-1 after passionate play from the opening whistle to the conclusion of an end-to-end double-overtime that saw a lot of chances to win for both teams. And despite the draw, head coach Ed Kelly is closing in on 300 wins—he now stands at 297 between his wins at BC and at Seton Hall University. He would be the third head coach in the history of the ACC to notch his 300th win—Notre Dame’s Bobby Clark and North Carolina’s Elmar Bolowich.

Featured Image by Amelie Trieu / Heights Staff