Adele Returns, Bieber Surprises In Singles This Week

Adele, “Hello”

With her first track since “Skyfall,” Adele looks to return to her 2011 Grammy-Award-winning heights. The first single off her much anticipated upcoming album 25 has been released with universal fanfare from Katy Perry tweeting about her inner fangirl to the millions of non-celeb fans pushing the video to 27.7 million views in one day, easily stealing the record of most single day views from Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood.” In “Hello,” Adele tries to reconcile with past lovers. Unrequited love isn’t something that gets fixed after you win a Grammy. Adele’s booming chorus and conversational lyrics sure make you feel like you know exactly what she is talking about. “Hello” is a moving power ballad that will instantly remind you of 21 and that may not be a bad thing.

Chance the Rapper feat. Saba, “Angels”

3 Stars

After teasing the public earlier in the week about a collaboration with Stephen Colbert, Chance premiered his new single “Angels” on the Late Show. Although Colbert provides no vocals on the track, Chance is not alone as fellow Chicago native, Saba, carries the hook. Chance’s lyricism still leaves much to be desired but his infectious personality shines throughout this track thanks to his delivery, catchy flow, and tropical production backing. There is no doubt “Angels” would have been a better summer anthem than a fall single but nonetheless, with a new mixtape dropping soon, Chance has more than just his “city doing front flips.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7BOqYaUI-0

Justin Bieber, “Sorry”

3 Stars

Teaming up with Skrillex, Justin Bieber looks to bring his chart topping singles count in 2015 to three with “Sorry.”  Similar to “Where are U Now” and “What Do You Mean,” Bieber’s latest track has an obvious tropical dancehall influence, albeit done to a greater effect. A Caribbean style production does seem like an odd compliment to Bieber’s apologetic lyrics but thanks to Bieber’s delivery and Skrillex’s rhythm, most listeners probably won’t care. Likely an ode to his relationship with fellow singer Selena Gomez, “Sorry” will be on his fourth album Purpose.  It seems to be shaping up to be his most personal album yet.