Fall

Eagles Slip Up, Fall In Loss To Crimson

While gearing up for the final ACC game of the year and the ensuing conference tournament, Boston College (8-5-1, 3-4 ACC) men’s soccer let a non-conference game slip by in a 2-1 loss at Harvard (6-5-2, 3-1 Ivy).

After a slow start to the game, in which the Crimson and Eagles could only manage three shots combined—all of which were blocked—senior forwards Jake Freeman and Michael Innocenzi linked up at the half hour mark to give Harvard the 1-0 lead. Freeman played a through-ball past the BC defense to Innocenzi, who put one past BC goalie Alex Kapp for his second goal of the season.

Kapp was not tested too much in the first half, only facing two shots on goal, one of which was the lone goal and the other a shot that Kapp saved with a minute left in the first half.

While both teams had four shots and two corners apiece in the opening 45 minutes, BC had the better chances offensively. Henry Balf, Mohammed Moro, and Ike Normesinu forced Harvard goalkeeper Evan Mendez into three saves, all of which came within a four-minute stretch in the final 15 minutes of the half.

Harvard came out firing in the second half to put the pressure back on BC to start the second half. In the first seven minutes, Freeman had two shots blocked and the Crimson won three corner kicks, yet the Crimson couldn’t find the back of the net.

After a brief lull, Harvard doubled its lead in the 67th minute. After the Crimson won a throw-in in the attacking third, sophomore defender Justin Crichlow sent a long throw into the box, where 6-foot-2 midfielder Daniel Smith rose up to flick the ball. It fell to Oliver White for the finish, giving him his third goal of the season.

Harvard controlled the second half, getting off seven shots in the second half. Outside of the goal allowed, BC’s defense stood the test, and Kapp only had to make one save.

The Eagles did manage to get one goal back as they made a late attacking push. After Mendez saved a Balf shot, BC won a corner in the 88th minute. Zeiko Lewis’ delivery found Enstrom, who scored on a header to cut the deficit in half.

Despite having two fewer shots on goal and not troubling Kapp, the Crimson made the most of their opportunities, converting 50 percent of their shots on target.

The wait for Ed Kelly’s 300th career win will continue, as the BC head coach has been sitting on 299 wins for the past three games, all of which he has lost.

Featured Image by Drew Hoo / Heights Editor