Football, Top Story

Football’s Troy Flutie Arrested for Drunk Driving, Suspended From Team

Troy Flutie’s career at Boston College just got a bit more difficult.

The football player was arrested in his hometown of Natick, Mass. for operating a vehicle while under the influence (OUI), possession of an open container of alcohol while driving, and possessing alcohol under 21 on early Monday morning, according to the Metrowest Daily News. The Natick Police Department confirmed this to The Heights on Monday afternoon. The report indicated that Flutie hit a curb on Fisher Street in Natick at 1:05 a.m., which helped to lead to his arrest, and is set for arraignment today.

BC Athletics has provided the following official statement regarding Flutie’s arrest: “Troy has been suspended from the football team by Coach Steve Addazio pending further investigation and faces the possibility of additional University sanctions pending the outcome of the court proceedings.”

Flutie is the nephew of former BC Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie, and son of of former BC wide receiver Darren Flutie. He was recruited by head coach Steve Addazio in 2014 after earning ESPNBoston.com’s Massachusetts Mr. Football as the starting quarterback for Natick High School, yet saw no playing time behind Tyler Murphy his first year. Following Darius Wade’s ankle injury in 2015, Flutie saw playing time in parts of eight games. The redshirt freshman completed 24 passes on 49 attempts for 382 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.

With Wade’s return and the transfer of University of Kentucky quarterback Patrick Towles, Flutie began the transition this offseason to wide receiver.

This post has been updated.

Featured Image by Drew Hoo / Heights Editor