The Office of Dean of Students to Hold Open House on Tuesday

To increase interaction between the Office of the Dean of Students and Boston College students, the office will host an open house for students on Oct. 4 from 2 to 4 p.m.

Dean of Students Thomas Mogan hopes that students will come in to learn more about the services and programs his office provides and to meet the staff in the office.

“We’re excited about it,” he said.

He wants students to know that his office does more than enforce the student conduct code.

The open house will have an educational aspect so that students can learn about the disability and LGBTQ resources the office has for students. It will also discuss the case management services the office offers. If a student is having a difficult time at BC, he or she can come meet with Mogan to discuss ways to get more involved.

“We want students to feel that they’re getting the personal attention that they deserve.”

“We do a lot of one-on-one consulting with students about how to make their experience here at BC the best it can be, how to make sure they’re really growing and developing over the course of their four years here,” Mogan said.

Mogan said that the office will be serving food and beverages, including a hot chocolate bar and a candy buffet, and handing out giveaways to attendees.

The open house is one of the ways in which Mogan is getting students more involved with the office. He also hosts office hours on Friday from 2-4 p.m., and he invites students over for dinner through his program Dinner with the Dean.

He always encourages students who come to dinner at his house to follow up with him afterward, and many of them do.

Mogan said he hopes that these outreach efforts will make BC feel less like a medium-size school and more like a small school by creating a close-knit community.

“We want students to feel that they’re getting the personal attention that they deserve,” he said.

Featured Image by Michael Sullivan / Heights Editor