Metro

The Street at Chestnut Hill Launches Month-Long Workshops at The Pop-Up Makery

Perfumed air filled the boutique-like space of The Pop-Up Makery this past Thursday as six of Boston’s most creative brands gathered to celebrate the launch of a month-long schedule of interactive classes and workshops. These classes will take place in The Pop-Up Makery, the newest pop-up concept to arrive in The Street at Chestnut Hill. The month’s classes will showcase Boston’s artistic leaders such as Alice’s Table, The Paint Bar, The Third Piece, Sip & Script, Niche, and Artists for Humanity.

The space itself dons a Tiffany blue and white color scheme, hanging globe-pendant lights, and a marble counter. The tall mirrors and glass doors expand around the space, and complete the modern, chic décor. On the “Meet the Makers” wall, four rows of wall shelves are filled with the tools and final products to showcase the creative process. The minimalistic white-wall shelves are brought to life by items including miniature easels, bulky knitting yarn, and floral scissors.

Located on 49 Boylston St. at The Street, The Pop-Up Makery is part of the shopping destination’s effort to bridge creativity and fashion. Annie Lagasse, marketing coordinator of The Street, said that The Street is “a place of discovery.”

”Whether in fashion, food, or culture, there are so many interesting and beautiful things to find throughout the property,” Lagasse said.

The Street is one of the stops on Boston College’s Chestnut Hill Mall and grocery shuttle route, which runs every weekend from Thursday to Sunday. The shopping area includes brands popular among many BC students, such as Lululemon Athletica and The Container Store. The Street also offers a variety of restaurants, including Legal Seafoods, as well as Massachusetts’ first Shake Shack, Juice Press, and Showcase SuperLux.

The Pop-Up Makery will host a collection of workshops from Feb. 24 to March 26, with a possibility of extension. In addition to The Paint Bar that is popular among BC students, the creative space will provide an opportunity to learn floral arrangement with Alice’s Table, calligraphy with Sip & Script, knitting with The Third Piece, cartoon-drawing with Artists for Humanity, and terrarium-building with Niche. Most classes are offered in the evening or on weekends, and visitors must purchase a ticket in order to attend a class..

At the launch party, Lagasse explained that the concept of The Pop-Up Makery was inspired by a desire to bring creative, local brands together. The Pop-Up Makery provides a shared space for some of these brands that do not have a permanent, dedicated space to call their own.

“It’s kind of like their own residence,” Lagasse said. “This is their space as much as it is ours.”

Even for brands that already have physical locations, such as The Paint Bar which can be found in Newton and on Newbury St., The Pop-Up Makery offers a valuable opportunity.Jill Kerner Schon, co-founder and co-owner of The Paint Bar, explained that the workshop at The Pop-Up Makery offers a more intimate experience with fewer students.

On Feb. 24, the month of events kicked off with a knitting workshop with The Third Piece. The Third Piece is a luxury accessory company that specializes in hand-knit statement pieces. Its name comes from a style philosophy, “Never leave home without three pieces,” which emphasizes the importance of an accessory—the third piece—that completes the outfit. The workshop provided large 12-mm knitting needles and one ball of the company’s signature Funky Chunky super-soft, 100-percent merino-wool yarn. It took nearly four years to perfect the Funky Chunky, which is a super chunky, single-ply yarn that still manages to be light and breathable.

The setup of the launch party spoke to the pop-up concept’s dedication toward creativity, art, and fashion. In a corner of the space, a Polaroid camera allowed guests to add their photo to a black polka-dotted background. The Paint Bar brought elegant watercolor artwork in white photo frames for guests to take home. The Third Piece displayed their knit headpieces, along with a plate of pom-pom key chains as souvenirs. Owners of Sip & Script painted the name of guests onto agate slice place cards using calligraphy pens. The Street also created a customized tote bag for the campaign.

The Pop-Up Makery also engages with its neighbors—the retail stores and restaurants. A gray, patterned armchair from the home décor company Jonathan Adler was on display in the room, decorated with a knit pillow from The Third Piece. Davio’s, a northern-Italian steakhouse, provided snacks for the evening.

The evening saw representatives from each brand exchanging ideas and learning about each other’s businesses. For both business owners and workshop students, The Pop-Up Makery is a space where new and old friends meet. It provides members of the community with an opportunity to explore the creative sides of themselves in a beautifully-decorated boutique-like setting, and is a testament to the innovation of Boston’s vibrant start-up community.

Featured Image by Sherry Hsiao