Spring

Friedt, Dreswick Carry BC Past Bryant

Boston College softball rode a three-game winning streak into Wednesday’s matchup against Bryant. Coming into the game, the Eagles hadn’t lost to the Bulldogs since the 2010-2011 season. That streak would continue, as BC edged Bryant, 1-0.

BC (21-12, 6-2 Atlantic Coast) was at bat in the top of the first inning, but failed to get off to a good start. First, Taylor Coroneos flied out to Helaina Michaud in right field. Annie Murphy and Chloe Sharabba didn’t have much better luck. The two grounded out to first, ending the top half of the first.

Bryant’s (5-25, 0-2 Northeast Conference) Tiffany Bell was the first player to get on base, when she singled down the left-field line. One base wasn’t enough for her, as she quickly stole second after Kendra Friedt struck out Rachel Monroe. Bell may have felt too confident after stealing second, because she was then caught stealing third, ending the first inning with both teams scoreless.

The top of the second inning was looking better for the Eagles, as Tatiana Cortez got things going with a single. Jordan Chimento followed, reaching first and advancing Cortez to second. Allyson Moore also hit a single, but Cortez was caught on her sprint to third, leaving only two Eagles on base. While the Eagles were hoping to get a run on the board, Lexi DiEmmanuele and Jules Trevino both struck out. Friedt was keen on keeping the Bulldogs from pulling away with an early lead and struck out the side to round out the second frame.

The Eagles were scoreless in the third, despite Coroneos stealing second immediately after hitting a single. Friedt also managed to shut out Bryant for the third inning in a row. In the fourth, Cortez hit a single to start off the inning. Monroe flied out to left field, but Cortez had enough time to scamper to second. Moore hit a double down the right-field line, allowing the senior to make it to third. Then, DiEmmanuele hit another double, scoring Cortez and giving the Eagles the lead.

Nicole Zukowski led off the back half of the inning with a single. But Bryant’s hopes for retribution were quickly dashed, as Friedt struck out the next two hitters. In the top of the fifth, Murphy and Sharabba both singled, giving BC a chance to add to its lead. Yet Murphy was caught stealing, and a Cortez ground ball ended the inning.

Jessica Dreswick replaced Friedt, who logged seven strikeouts and only allowed two runs in her four innings of work. Dreswick continued to hold the Bulldogs scoreless.

Chimento doubled to start the sixth. Her strong showing was short lived, as Moore flied out to center and Chimento was thrown out on her way to third. DiEmmanuele singled and stole second, but it wouldn’t matter. Chloe Dubocq’s was robbed of a line-drive hit to finish the sixth inning. Dreswick wasn’t fazed by the quick turnaround, as she quickly retired the Bulldogs, one-two-three. The seventh inning was both quick and scoreless for both teams, as the first three hitters for both BC and Bryant failed to reach base.

Friedt and Dreswick combined for 10 strikeouts, en route to the Eagles’ sixth shutout of the season, and their eighth win over Bryant in program history.

Featured Image by Shaan Bijwadia / Heights Staff