News, Off Campus, Featured Story

People Magazine to Honor Welles Crowther With Third Annual Award

People magazine announced that it would be honoring the heroism of Welles Remy Crowther, BC ’99, with the third annual Red Bandanna Hero Award.

In partnership with the American Heroes Channel (AHC) and the Welles Remy Crowther Charitable Trust, the award will be given to an individual who emulates the courage and bravery of Crowther, who is remembered for his selfless sacrifice during the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. He saved as many as 18 people before losing his own life during the collapse of the South Tower of the World Trade Center.

The award winner will receive a $10,000 donation to a charity of his or her choice and be featured in People. He or she will also be showcased in an hour-long AHC special airing in the fall.

In addition, the recipient will be given a trip for two to the Red Bandanna Football Game at Alumni Stadium this fall.

When Crowther was 6 years old, his father gave him a red bandanna that he carried with him everywhere. After graduating from BC, where he played lacrosse and studied economics, Crowther moved to New York City to work as an equities trader.

On 9/11, Crowther used his experience as a volunteer firefighter to help rescue survivors from the 78th floor lobby of the South Tower, returning inside the building multiple times after guiding groups of people out to the street. During his heroics, he wore the gift his father gave him around his mouth and nose to guard against smoke, allowing some of those that he saved to later identify him as “the man in the red bandanna.”

The previous winners of the first and second annual Red Bandanna Hero Award are firefighter Jake LaFerriere, who founded Firefighters for Healing, a non-profit that supports young burn survivors and their families, and veteran Christopher Baity, who founded Semper K9, a non-profit that matches wounded members of the armed services with service dogs.

Nominations for the award are being accepted through July 4 here.

Featured Image Courtesy of BC.edu