Football, Top Story

Football Schedules Home-And-Home Series Against Michigan State

Less than a month into Martin Jarmond’s tenure as Boston College’s new director of athletics, and the 37-year-old is already turning to what he knows best: scheduling. And in particular, scheduling within the Big Ten—his former home.

On Wednesday, the former Ohio State deputy athletics director and chief of staff added a home-and-home series against Michigan State. The first game will be played in Chestnut Hill on Sept. 21, 2024, and the Spartans will host the second on Sept. 20, 2025. Jarmond, who also served as the Spartans’ assistant athletic director for development and director of regional giving earlier in his career, recognizes the importance of bringing the highest level of competition to Alumni Stadium.

“To have one of the eight teams that have competed in the College Football Playoff come to the Heights will be exciting for our young men competing on the field and our season ticket holders,” Jarmond told BCEagles.com.

The 2024 meeting will mark the seventh time the two programs have played against each other, and the first since BC defeated Michigan State in the 2007 Champs Sports Bowl. The Eagles lead the all-time series 4-1-1.

Even before Jarmond took over as AD, BC began to stockpile future games against the Big Ten—a conference that is tied with the ACC and SEC for the most College Football Playoff appearances. The Eagles are also slotted to play Purdue (2018, 2020), Rutgers (2019, 2022, 2026, 2027), and Ohio State (2026, 2027) in the coming years. BC yielded the weakest schedule of any team in the ACC last season. Jarmond, a proponent of competitive excellence, is already on his way to changing that.

June 21, 2017